The Student Room Group

Am I being unrealistic?

I've always been considered a smart person. I haven't yet finished my GCSEs (in middle of exams rn) and I'm expected 9s in maths and science. However other than these subjects I am not the best, barely scraping a pass in my mocks for English and geography. I'm going to study maths, F. maths, physics and computer science and I am hoping to go on and study Engineering Science and Oxford university. However I'm just wondering on how realistic this hope is? Currently in my GCSEs because of my 'natural talent' I haven't revised a minute which I must say I regret, but if during A levels I get my head down and leave with the grades needed or better for Oxford, is getting in even a realistic hope?
Reply 1
Focus on your GCSEs! This is neither the time nor place to be considering your university ambitions, having not even completed your current set of exams. Put in the hours to get the 9s you're hoping for in maths/science and don't neglect your other subjects. It's far too early to say whether a potential application would be realistic/unrealistic - all that remains is to do your best with your GCSEs.
Good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ashton_Adams
I've always been considered a smart person. I haven't yet finished my GCSEs (in middle of exams rn) and I'm expected 9s in maths and science. However other than these subjects I am not the best, barely scraping a pass in my mocks for English and geography. I'm going to study maths, F. maths, physics and computer science and I am hoping to go on and study Engineering Science and Oxford university. However I'm just wondering on how realistic this hope is? Currently in my GCSEs because of my 'natural talent' I haven't revised a minute which I must say I regret, but if during A levels I get my head down and leave with the grades needed or better for Oxford, is getting in even a realistic hope?

U need high grades across all ur subjects for top unis like Oxford. If u get 4s and 5s for majority of non stem subjects pretty much impossible to go there.
You still have time. Your literally in the midst of your exams, so put your head down and grind, revise, every day, 8+ hr days for your next exam. Past papers, active recall. Focus on the present, and forget about what's next, you can think about that after.
Reply 4
Start looking at unis post-GCSE. Now is the time to be getting all the 8/9s you possibly can, not worrying about unis. There's no point considering oxford now rather than revising for GCSEs when your GCSEs could end up be a factor holding your application back, especially when you are applying for such a competitive course where near all 9s will be the standard. Lock in NOW, don't plan out how you are going to lock in later.

Quick Reply