The Student Room Group

Will I be bullied at university?

Weird title, I know. To simplify it, I am fat. I have PCOS and hormonal imbalances as well as an underactive thyroid which means it is harder for me to lose weight, I have tried so much and keep trying. I am on the waiting list on the NHS to get treatment options as it's been to difficult for me to do it myself. I always get laughed at in college, and everywhere I go. I can't even look at myself in the mirror, I'm worried that people at university won't want to be my friend because i am fat and I'm not pretty at all, in fact I am ugly.
Original post by Anonymous
Weird title, I know. To simplify it, I am fat. I have PCOS and hormonal imbalances as well as an underactive thyroid which means it is harder for me to lose weight, I have tried so much and keep trying. I am on the waiting list on the NHS to get treatment options as it's been to difficult for me to do it myself. I always get laughed at in college, and everywhere I go. I can't even look at myself in the mirror, I'm worried that people at university won't want to be my friend because i am fat and I'm not pretty at all, in fact I am ugly.

Hi there!

It's not a weird title at all, and thank you for sharing your experience on TSR. It is completely understandable to be concerned about it. I experienced bullying during secondary school, and for me, going to college was a fresh start. I didn't experience bullying at college, but I did find it difficult to make friends. Maybe university is the fresh start that you are looking for.

I can only speak about my own experience at BCU, but I have not witnessed any sort of bullying. At my university there is so much freedom to just be your authentic self; there is no culture of bullying. Often those who have previously struggled to fit in, find their people at university.

I think other students would agree with me in saying that the culture at university is very different from what you experience at school/college. I hope this can offer you some reassurance!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply