The Student Room Group

Student Finance ELQ RULE

I want some clarity on ELQ rule, I started Bachelor's degree in Early years 2 years ago, however at the end of the first year I decided the course wasn't right for me and exited the course; I received A Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) certificate at the end of the first year- Now I wish to go to university again to do English literature BA which is 3 years and I need to start from 1st year, My question is do I get student finance for all three years as my understanding is students have a gift year or does me receiving Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) makes me ineligible for student finance funding for the first year literature course?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by MONA-
I want some clarity on ELQ rule, I started Bachelor's degree in Early years 2 years ago, however at the end of the first year I decided the course wasn't right for me and exited the course; I received A Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) certificate at the end of the first year- Now I wish to go to university again to do English literature BA which is 3 years and I need to start from 1st year, My question is do I get student finance for all three years as my understanding is students have a gift year or does me receiving Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) makes me ineligible for student finance funding for the first year literature course?

A BA is not an Equivalent or Lower Qualification than a CertHE so ELQ rules wouldn't apply.

Your funding might be impacted by previous study rules which work like:
Length of new course (in years) + 1 gift year - years of previous study = remaining funded years.

If you only studied/enrolled for a single year on your previous degree then all years of your new degree should be funded. However if you need to repeat or restart again then any further additional years wouldn't be funded (that means no tuition fee loan for those years)
Original post by MONA-

Hi there, I can see we're assisting with your query on our Facebook page. I have responded to your last message on there if you then want to respond so we can confirm eligibility. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply