The Student Room Group

Prioritising Prestige over Happiness

I’m having difficulty choosing universities as I had previously dropped out and reapplying which has given me anxiety about it. I obviously prioritised course content but because everything I picked has a broad choice of modules they end up being similar.

So I looked at the rankings and one of my uni offers is considerably higher than the rest but because it’s in London and I had previously been at a London uni where I didn’t enjoy it too much has made me sceptical but the major issue of what made me initially drop out was the course.

Should I just choose the better uni, get a better degree and prospects and soldier through if I’m unhappy as at least this time I would be doing a course I enjoyed or settle for another university in a different area so I can at least say I have tried a different area if I do end up being unhappy elsewhere as I no place doesn’t guarantee your social life.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m having difficulty choosing universities as I had previously dropped out and reapplying which has given me anxiety about it. I obviously prioritised course content but because everything I picked has a broad choice of modules they end up being similar.
So I looked at the rankings and one of my uni offers is considerably higher than the rest but because it’s in London and I had previously been at a London uni where I didn’t enjoy it too much has made me sceptical but the major issue of what made me initially drop out was the course.
Should I just choose the better uni, get a better degree and prospects and soldier through if I’m unhappy as at least this time I would be doing a course I enjoyed or settle for another university in a different area so I can at least say I have tried a different area if I do end up being unhappy elsewhere as I no place doesn’t guarantee your social life.

Hi there!

I really relate to your situation. I studied at a really good university for a semester, it was my dream university. However, I just felt so alone and unsupported that I ended up dropping out. When I finally decided to return to Higher Education, I had a completely different attitude and approach when choosing my university options. Long story short, I ended up at BCU and I have just finished my degree. My experience here has been incredible and I truly felt part of a community.

It is at least three years of your life. That is quite a considerable amount of time, particularly if you're not feeling happy. I would always prioritise your happiness. Your happiness and motivation are what make you reach out for extra opportunities, such as working for your university, going abroad, or volunteering, and that is what impresses employers.

It is quite a difficult decision to make, but don't be too hard on yourself. As long as you feel comfortable and happy with your decision, you can't go too wrong. Make sure you have all the information possible so that you can make an informed decision. Talk to friends and family, too, and see what they think. Discussing things out loud can sometimes help you realise things that help you understand how you truly feel about an issue.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

NO.

Go somewhere you'll be happy. The university reputation and ranking matters shockingly little for your future prospects. What matters most is how well you do in university, and I don't know about you but I do my best work and get the best grades when I'm happy. So don't go somewhere where you know you'll be unhappy!!

HI there,

This sounds like a tricky decision. Personally, I would say that your happiness is priority and it is important to study somewhere you feel happy and supported. If it way me, I would choose the place that I would be happier as I think the happier your are and the better your mental health, the better you will do in your degree. It's worth being happy and doing better at the uni you are unsure of, rather than going to the prestigious uni and not doing as well because your mental health was suffering!

You are right that the place does not guarantee your social life and everyone has a different uni experience, but it is a long chunk of time (at least three years) which is a long time to be unhappy. Give yourself the best chance of being happy, whichever this may be.

You could always look into doing a placement for a year in London, and this way you have got the best of both worlds. Or, doing work experience or an internship would boost your CV just as much as going to a more prestigious uni!

I have found Hallam to be great as they are very supportive which is what I think you need to succeed at uni. As long as you go somewhere where you feel like this, you will do great!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply