The Student Room Group

How many marks can be deducted from my english lit aic essay?

I sat my AQA gcse english literature paper 2 exam today and realised during an essay on An Inspector Calls that I misread the question. The question was related to how the Inspector is presented to express the need for social change but I wrote my first two paragraphs on Mrs Birling and Sheila (still linking it to how the Inspector attempts to catalyse change in both). I’m worried that this’ll affect my grade as my analysis was good and I usually get 8/9s in english. Please be totally honest on whether or not the marks that’ll be deducted will have an impact on my grade. Thanks
Reply 1
i did this too! in my first para i was talking about Eva and Shilela as the need for social change for women, however my later response was centered just on the inspector, i feel like if you have mentioned the inspector somewhere or another, you'll be alright because it is ultimately the inspecotr who brings the story of eva to us and the readers, and exposes the need for women to be socially changed by giivng a voice to shiela and thus fueeling her moral awakening, since it was a theme and character question, something new that the exam board seems to be progressing towards, i feel like a focus on the simply the theme in some cases would be just fine.

also the inspector is unalike all other characters, and simply his presence and information is enough to bring about social change, so explicitly mentioning his words or actions may not even be necessary for a good response
hope this helped, i was worried about it too for a bit x
Original post by shduqirjsud
I sat my AQA gcse english literature paper 2 exam today and realised during an essay on An Inspector Calls that I misread the question. The question was related to how the Inspector is presented to express the need for social change but I wrote my first two paragraphs on Mrs Birling and Sheila (still linking it to how the Inspector attempts to catalyse change in both). I’m worried that this’ll affect my grade as my analysis was good and I usually get 8/9s in english. Please be totally honest on whether or not the marks that’ll be deducted will have an impact on my grade. Thanks

Umm ngl that's kinda concerning. The question was a character question that related to a theme that they inspire, rather than just an argument over a description of the Inspector himself, or an argument about how a theme is presented. If your paragraphs on Mrs Birling and Sheila are related to the Inspector clearly, then you may be fine
Reply 3
Original post by Tryingtohelpout
Umm ngl that's kinda concerning. The question was a character question that related to a theme that they inspire, rather than just an argument over a description of the Inspector himself, or an argument about how a theme is presented. If your paragraphs on Mrs Birling and Sheila are related to the Inspector clearly, then you may be fine

i mentioned that the inspector used visceral imagery when saying she was "burnt inside out" for eva, and then for shiela i said how the inspector caused her to find a voice and achieve a moral awakening. Would this be alright do you think?
Original post by aanaya
i mentioned that the inspector used visceral imagery when saying she was "burnt inside out" for eva, and then for shiela i said how the inspector caused her to find a voice and achieve a moral awakening. Would this be alright do you think?

Oh yes sure, sorry I misunderstood. I also explained the effects the Inspector has on the Birlings as a didactic character (especially on Sheila and Eric)
(edited 2 months ago)

Sounds like you did perfect! All higher level answers will discuss other characters in relation to the one asked in the question.

no because one of the prompts was : talk about what the inspector says and does and he basically got the whole thing to unravel so ur good

Quick Reply