The Student Room Group

Year 11 Prefect Application

I am applying to be a head subject prefect in either psychology or biology, so I have to submit 2 forms. I need to submit this tomorrow, so I'd appreciate if someone could read this and give me some feedback:

My predominant idea is to create a support club for students, in order to assist them in achieving a better understanding of key concepts in STEM subjects. Once a week, I would like to arrange for Year 10s & 11s to tutor students during form time. This would be mainly for pupils who have trouble understanding maths, biology, or other STEM subjects, which will hopefully
For two years, I have been volunteering for Reader Leader in the LRC to help Year 7s & 8s with their reading skills. This has enhanced my communication skills, as well as allowing me to encourage younger students. I have also participated in multiple sports clubs, including netball and rounders since Year 7, which has improved my teamwork skills. In Year 8, I was Vice Captain of the netball team, which has allowed me to develop leadership and organisation skills.
My younger sister will be joining the school in September. This motivates me to make the school a healthy and safe place that supports younger students in as many ways as possible.
I believe that I am organised, punctual and approachable, which is why I think that I would be a great prefect.

I also have to submit another form to be a head prefect:

I believe I have the qualities required of a prefect as I am reliable, responsible and am prepared to carry out duties to the best of my ability. I am confident that I can set a good example to all students in the school, as I am sensible, mature, and always follow our uniform rules and . I have regularly helped out at open evenings, from which I have gained confidence in communicating with parents and visitors. I have volunteered for Reader Leader for 2 years where I tutored a year 7&8 students with their reading. I have really enjoyed this and have developed valuable skills in interacting and motivating younger students. Since Year 7, I have participated in sports clubs, including netball and rounders. These activities have allowed me to gain experience of interacting with a range of people, working as a team, and developing a sense of responsibility and commitment. I am prepared to take on the responsibility of being a prefect.
Reply 1
Seems like a good start! :smile:

Though perhaps unfinished? 'other STEM subjects, which will hopefully..?'

I would also avoid saying you follow uniform rules as that's expected of everyone anyway. And double check your grammar - there's a lot of missing punctuation and random words.

When talking about how sports taught you to be organised and further your teamwork skills, talk about how this will aid you in a prefect role. It's easy to say you have the qualities, but do you know why you need them and how you'll apply them?

Good luck!
Reply 2
Speaking as a person in year 11 who has taken on almost every leadership position in my school (prefect, school council, charity and MUN committees, librarian etc), I would advise on writing about how other view you, as well as inputting more about being for the people. The role of a prefect is to help others etc, so you need to show how others say you're a people person.

E,g, I've become very open to the idea of creating a support club for students, led by students- this is because many of my peers have often commented on my ability to successfully lead a group in a friendly, respectful yet organised manner.
Or,
As my younger sister will be joining the school in September, I've also become motivated to create a nurturing environment for younger students so that they may feel welcome in the school community and find their own identities.
I'm known for being punctual and approachable- qualities I believe in that make a great prefect that has the capability to lead others as a role model.
Use chatgpt to improve it or gemini
Reply 4
Maybe also add a tiny brief intro about why you want to give back to the school? Teachers really like that so-
Throughout my years at this school, I've experienced so much help and selfless kindness from both my peers and teachers. The school has supported me so much that I want to give back ti the community and leave my lasting impression on the school for the better.

Also maybe a conclusion at the end, just a quick thanks for reading and thanks for the opportunity and considering the application
Reply 5
Original post by _emmyliin
Maybe also add a tiny brief intro about why you want to give back to the school? Teachers really like that so-
Throughout my years at this school, I've experienced so much help and selfless kindness from both my peers and teachers. The school has supported me so much that I want to give back ti the community and leave my lasting impression on the school for the better.
Also maybe a conclusion at the end, just a quick thanks for reading and thanks for the opportunity and considering the application

Definitely agree with this!! Though I'd make it a big part of the application.
I'm currently in the final stages of my head girl application process (yr12 here) and they definitely are focused on how you would look for the school, and how you'd benefit the school.
Reply 6
Original post by Ajhdhd
Definitely agree with this!! Though I'd make it a big part of the application.
I'm currently in the final stages of my head girl application process (yr12 here) and they definitely are focused on how you would look for the school, and how you'd benefit the school.

Yes! It's usually not about you, but about the school. Good luck for those head girl applications!

Quick Reply