The Student Room Group

Medicine without physics and math

Hi, I have 3 A levels right now. Biology, Chemistry and Business. I want to pursue a career in medicine but I'm not sure if it would be right for me considering I don't have physics and math. Has anyone done medicine with just bio and chem, because I'm not sure how much math and physics is needed in an MBBS course. They're weak points for me so please let me know its like doable.
Reply 1
Physics is completely unnecessary for medicine. Maths is useful to take, but since you're doing bio and chem, you're eligible to apply to practically any med school (except maybe some Cambridge colleges?).
yes you'll be absolutely fine. just dont apply to Cambridge.
Reply 3
Original post by Methene
Physics is completely unnecessary for medicine. Maths is useful to take, but since you're doing bio and chem, you're eligible to apply to practically any med school (except maybe some Cambridge colleges?).

That's what I thought when I took bio and chem but like most university websites I've come across require physics and math too
Original post by safa2468
That's what I thought when I took bio and chem but like most university websites I've come across require physics and math too

no med school requires physics and/or maths other than Cambridge
Reply 5

Are you sure you're looking under the medicine requirements... and not something like physics or engineering? 😁
Hi, I have 3 A levels right now. Biology, Chemistry and Business. I want to pursue a career in medicine but I'm not sure if it would be right for me considering I don't have physics and math. Has anyone done medicine with just bio and chem, because I'm not sure how much math and physics is needed in an MBBS course. They're weak points for me so please let me know its like doable.

I'm doing medicine atm with bio chem and maths a levels - maths was such a waste of an a level for the course imo

Best thing is just go onto each uni's website and find out what they require to apply.

But yeah, I only found a level bio knowledge useful in medicine, but even then, the amount of content they teach you is like the whole 2yrs of a level bio in 3 months and they teach you everything you need to know anyway so everyone is in the same boat.
You dont need either unless you're applying to Oxbridge
Without maths it’s not to happen you can take it online but it’s quite pricey I’m doing it online in June to go into nursing and studying access to science and health which includes medical science and anatomy and sociology classes to have a better understanding of peoples minds and situations.

Well they don't so I'm not sure what websites you are looking at. In the UK the only medical school requiring A-level physics or maths is Cambridge as above.

You need to look at the university's own admissions pages, not any kind of external website which aggregates information and could be wrong.

However if you're looking at doing medicine in another country then they will have their own requirements and the above may not apply.

Original post by ishikabaner
You dont need either unless you're applying to Oxbridge

Oxford don't require or prefer maths or physics at A-level. Applicants with chemistry/biology and a third non-science subject are statistically similarly likely to get an offer as one with 3 STEM subjects. They publish this data on their website.

Quick Reply