The Student Room Group

If I don't do good on my French GCSE, will it affect my medicine application?

I'm worried because I'm not very good at French, I think I'll probably get a 4 or 5. I want to apply to medicine in the future, will this ruin my chances? I get amazing grades in everything besides French.

Thanks
Reply 1
im 9/10 sure its fine, there is this person with 6s in his gcse, with 7 in bio and 6 in chem I think, and he still got in a dental school
Original post by olly52
im 9/10 sure its fine, there is this person with 6s in his gcse, with 7 in bio and 6 in chem I think, and he still got in a dental school

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 3
Probably not. It's not really that relevant. A lot of people think this kind of thing is insanely important but as long as you do well in the necessary ones it'll be fine. I got a 6 in further maths GCSE, which is just the start of A Level Maths. I'm now at the end of yr 12 and predicted an A* in a level maths. It's not the be all end all I promise you.
(But obviously english, maths and science grades are crucial here)

Although medicine is insanely competitive so who knows what they end up looking at.
Should definitely be fine. If it was chem or bio it would matter, but French won’t effect your prospects in medicine. Most top unis won’t even consider your GCSEs if you have good A Levels on hand :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by School_Student99
I'm worried because I'm not very good at French, I think I'll probably get a 4 or 5. I want to apply to medicine in the future, will this ruin my chances? I get amazing grades in everything besides French.
Thanks

It depends a bit on your other subjects and grades. It will matter for some med schools but many will not care at all
Reply 6
Original post by princesschip
Should definitely be fine. If it was chem or bio it would matter, but French won’t effect your prospects in medicine. Most top unis won’t even consider your GCSEs if you have good A Levels on hand :smile:

There are no "top unis" when it comes to medicine; where you study has no influence on your career, if working in the UK.
Most med schools that use GCSEs to shortlist still use them, even with A levels achieved. Those that do not use GCSEs will not care, often even about chem or bio

Quick Reply

Latest