The Student Room Group

Tips for my new restaurant job?

Hey,

I got a job via referral of an older employee at a small restaurant.
It was a bit lucky, I hit off really well with the owner despite my low availability (only working 1-2 days) and it being my first job despite all the staff members being experienced in customer service and doing multiple things at once (because sometimes it gets insanely busy).

I've been tasked with learning the till options (there are a lot) and improving with my communication towards customers. It isn't that I'm not confident but I don't have the etiquette nailed and that is something I really want to learn.

I get paid every few weeks which is fine by me, I just want to know if there are any tips you have that would make me a lot less of a hindrance at my new job. It's to be expected that I ask questions but I also want to prove that I was a great choice despite the favoritism in my hiring lol.
Congratulations on your new job! My best advice is to watch how the more experienced staff interact with customers and perform tasks. Even if you are not always available to work, it's good to be super reliable when you are working! Try showing up a little bit earlier and mentally prepare yourself for rush hours. It is likely to be stressful at times, but try to remain positive and communicate with your co-workers clearly if you're struggling; after all, not everyone likes working 24/7! I hope that helps, and best of luck! 😊

Quick Reply