This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
just want to see some views, i heard that people are saying students are opting for easy A-levels like sociology, psychology instead of hard ones like maths and physics. WOULD YOU CALL PSYCHOLOGY A_LEVEL EASY???
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
Most people would say not.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
No, I wouldn't. No A-levels are easy because it's done at advanced level. It just depends which subject you're good at.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
just want to see some views, i heard that people are saying students are opting for easy A-levels like sociology, psychology instead of hard ones like maths and physics. WOULD YOU CALL PSYCHOLOGY A_LEVEL EASY???
I don't think anyone and everyone can pass it so I guess it isn't really that easy. But unlike Mathematics you don't need to have much pre-knowledge of the subject so it attracts more people. And to be honest I'm not sure why people say it's so easy because if it is I'd hate to imagine what A-Level Physics was like.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
No, I wouldn't. No A-levels are easy because it's done at advanced level. It just depends which subject you're good at.
But some (Media, Film etc) are not respected at all.
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
psychology, media studies, business studies, sociology are the easy a-levels. maths, physics, chem, bio, english, economics, computing, politics, history....are the REAL, PROPER A-LEVELS. the statistic about people opting for easy a-levels is strange, because to get into top uni's like oxford, cambridge, imperial and york....you need good grades in proper a-levels i.e.) ones which the university respect and award offers for etc.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
But some (Media, Film etc) are not respected at all.
They are at Blockbuster video.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
They are at Blockbuster video.
And McDonald's, seemingly, they employ a lot of graduates in such disciplines.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
psychology, media studies, business studies, sociology are the easy a-levels. maths, physics, chem, bio, english, economics, computing, politics, history....are the REAL, PROPER A-LEVELS. the statistic about people opting for easy a-levels is strange, because to get into top uni's like oxford, cambridge, imperial and york....you need good grades in proper a-levels i.e.) ones which the university respect and award offers for etc.
Iwould argue about where you have placed psychology and politics, but on the whole I agree.
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i have said the complete truth there. good universitys want good grades in good subjects. they call these easy subjects "mickey mouse" subjects. and rightly so. maths, physics, english etc are REAL, WORTHY, IMPORTANT, RESPECTED AND APPRECIATED A-LEVELS.

* i hate people, who dont get good grades at gcse, then they do mickey mouse a-levels, then complain how they are not easy and comparable to proper a-levels. it really annoys me, i am sorry, i gotta say it. but obviously, when they wanna apply to oxford, its a "lol.......wow, bet you must be a genius to get a b grade in textiles and a b grade in psychology lol". *
nikk
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i have said the complete truth there. good universitys want good grades in good subjects. they call these easy subjects "mickey mouse" subjects. and rightly so. maths, physics, english etc are REAL, WORTHY, IMPORTANT, RESPECTED AND APPRECIATED A-LEVELS.

* i hate people, who dont get good grades at gcse, then they do mickey mouse a-levels, then complain how they are not easy and comparable to proper a-levels. it really annoys me, i am sorry, i gotta say it. but obviously, when they wanna apply to oxford, its a "lol.......wow, bet you must be a genius to get a b grade in textiles and a b grade in psychology lol". *
LOL!!
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
True, how many Oxbidge and the like's students have an A-level in Media Studies? Very, very few, and probably none had media as a main A-level, just an extra one.
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
completely correct mate, i know i am 100% correct here.its not an opinion.its FACT. F-A-C-T. I hate people who even contomplate challenging facts. and if anybody says that a grade "A" (LOL!!) in sociology is even approaching equivalent to an a fab real A grade in maths, a science or english etc.......then i will PUNCH them.

*Lord Huntroyde is one quality guy. why dont you be a moderator, you would be class man*

ohh yes and sorry for the pun:
NIK-NAK paddy whack giv a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home! and not any old man, one of the scrutty pensioners living near the finest educational establishment that england has to offer!!! Nothing Better!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
completely correct mate, i know i am 100% correct here.its not an opinion.its FACT. F-A-C-T. I hate people who even contomplate challenging facts. and if anybody says that a grade a in sociology is even approaching equivalent to an a grade in maths, a science or english etc.......then i will PUNCH them.
Rock-a-by-baby on the tree trunk, when the wind blows the cradle will rock la la la.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
completely correct mate, i know i am 100% correct here.its not an opinion.its FACT. F-A-C-T. I hate people who even contomplate challenging facts. and if anybody says that a grade "A" (LOL!!) in sociology is even approaching equivalent to an a fab real A grade in maths, a science or english etc.......then i will PUNCH them.

*Lord Huntroyde is one quality guy. why dont you be a moderator, you would be class man*

NIK-NAK paddy whack giv a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home! and not any old man, one of the scrutty pensioners living near the finest educational establishment that england has to offer!!! Nothing Better!!

I agree with you mate i've done chemistry, biology and psychology and psychology is nowhere as being near as hard as biology and chemistry
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

*Adds BABYGUY to fan list*

Current number of people on fan list = 1.
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
of course mate, but even if you LIED (hint, hint, at how people have lied to try and show that their extra A-level in psychology is just as worthy as their real ones), it wouldnt matter. i think we all know which A-Levels oxbridge, york, imperial are bothered about or respect the most.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
of course mate, but even if you LIED (hint, hint, at how people have lied to try and show that their extra A-level in psychology is just as worthy as their real ones), it wouldnt matter. i think we all know which A-Levels oxbridge, york, imperial are bothered about or respect the most.

yep, i agree with ya.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
i am sorry, i gotta say it. but obviously, when they wanna apply to oxford, its a "lol.......wow, bet you must be a genius to get a b grade in textiles and a b grade in psychology lol". *
Hey, don't knock textiles But seriously would an Art College prefer A-Level grades in Maths, Chem, Physics and Art or Art, Textiles and graphics... the latter I believe. To be honest I really think it depends on what the individual wants to do. Film Studies A-Level may be more useful to someone who wants to do a degree in Film Studies at there local college were grade requirements are low and that A-Level may have really helped their understanding rather than doing say, English.

Just because the majority of people on here do want to go to 'respected' universities here and for some people Chemistry may be to hard to do and if they did decide to study it they may get a grade 'E' over a grade 'C' at Film Studies which is obviously a bigger credit to them.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Hey, don't knock textiles But seriously would an Art College prefer A-Level grades in Maths, Chem, Physics and Art or Art, Textiles and graphics... the latter I believe. To be honest I really think it depends on what the individual wants to do. Film Studies A-Level may be more useful to someone who wants to do a degree in Film Studies at there local college were grade requirements are low and that A-Level may have really helped their understanding rather than doing say, English.

Just because the majority of people on here do want to go to 'respected' universities here and for some people Chemistry may be to hard to do and if they did decide to study it they may get a grade 'E' over a grade 'C' at Film Studies which is obviously a bigger credit to them.
If I had my way there wouldn't be a degree in Film Studies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.06%
Okay (99)
29.29%
A bit lacking (122)
36.09%
Not good at all (83)
24.56%

Watched Threads