This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
If I had my way there wouldn't be a degree in Film Studies.
Lol, fair enough. But the A-Level should stay otherwise we could abolish all the so-called non-respected A-Levels and we'd have A-Levels only suitable for the brainy kids which isn't fair on the pupils who really tried hard at their GCSEs but still have little understanding of their subjects.
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
i agree with you happy sunshine. i wasnt knocking people who do these subjects because they may not be academically bright like those who do respected a-levels and wanna go to oxbridge. thats afiar enough, some are cleverer than others and some dont do too well at GCSE. but, this is what my point is:

* "i hate people, who dont get good grades at gcse, then they do mickey mouse a-levels, then complain how they are not easy and comparable to proper a-levels. it really annoys me, i am sorry, i gotta say it. but obviously, when they wanna apply to oxford, its a "lol.......wow, bet you must be a genius to get a B grade in textiles and a B grade in psychology lol". * " - QUOTE
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by BABYGUY)
i agree with you happy sunshine. i wasnt knocking people who do these subjects because they may not be academically bright like those who do respected a-levels and wanna go to oxbridge. thats afiar enough, some are cleverer than others and some dont do too well at GCSE. but, this is what my point is:

* "i hate people, who dont get good grades at gcse, then they do mickey mouse a-levels, then complain how they are not easy and comparable to proper a-levels. it really annoys me, i am sorry, i gotta say it. but obviously, when they wanna apply to oxford, its a "lol.......wow, bet you must be a genius to get a B grade in textiles and a B grade in psychology lol". * " - QUOTE
Babyguy, dont you think you are being a lttle childish? I have AAAA in Maths, Busines Studies, Economics and Psychology at AS Level, and found Maths to be the easiest and psychology to be the hardest. It deends wot you are good at.

I dont know how psychology is deemed an easy subject? It is much harder than maths, which u either get or you dont (with the F-A-C-T that more people get A grades in maths han in psychology proving my point beyong belief)

Babyguy, shut up. A Levels in your so called 'mickey mouse' subjects can be harder than the ones that you are obviously studying (the ones that you call hard)

Maths is easy compared to psychology and I should know, I study them both. You obviously dont know because u dont study psychology!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
And I am applying to oxbridge!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Why do so many of you get into a sweat about the difficulty of A-levels?
All A-levels are easy. Things only start to get difficult in the second and third years of your degree.
SaeedRehman
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Babyguy, dont you think you are being a lttle childish? I have AAAA in Maths, Busines Studies, Economics and Psychology at AS Level, and found Maths to be the easiest and psychology to be the hardest. It deends wot you are good at.

I dont know how psychology is deemed an easy subject? It is much harder than maths, which u either get or you dont (with the F-A-C-T that more people get A grades in maths han in psychology proving my point beyong belief)

Babyguy, shut up. A Levels in your so called 'mickey mouse' subjects can be harder than the ones that you are obviously studying (the ones that you call hard)

Maths is easy compared to psychology and I should know, I study them both. You obviously dont know because u dont study psychology!
i studied both and realised maths was harder, since primary school maths was easy and just teasing through out, until got to a level.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

I understand your point totally too It'd annoy the f**k out of me if someone said I got an B in Textiles and I only got a C in Maths, I suppose it kind of undermines the Maths A-Level.

Oh well, they are all A-Levels at the end of the day.
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
lol at mr. unreg. fact 1, i think oxbridge, york, warwick opinion aswell as 95% of this forum counts more than yours, secondly, the reason that more maths people get A Grades, is because the more advanced, intelligent people take the subject because it is demanding. i.e.) the less clever ones are weeded out. the reason psychology is lower, is because the less clever people (in genral) take it as it is a "softer" subject FACT, therefore a much larger % get like C's. Maths is harder (clearly), but because the clever clogs are advised to do it, they do get the good grades. Hence, a huge majority of these people are the ones who do fill up the places at oxbridge, york, warwick, durham, london etc.

*i think i know what i am talking about here*
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
so stay quiet if you have such r******d "opinions" like that.
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
completely correct mate, i know i am 100% correct here.its not an opinion.its FACT. F-A-C-T. I hate people who even contomplate challenging facts. and if anybody says that a grade "A" (LOL!!) in sociology is even approaching equivalent to an a fab real A grade in maths, a science or english etc.......then i will PUNCH them.

*Lord Huntroyde is one quality guy. why dont you be a moderator, you would be class man*

ohh yes and sorry for the pun:
NIK-NAK paddy whack giv a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home! and not any old man, one of the scrutty pensioners living near the finest educational establishment that england has to offer!!! Nothing Better!!
I feel the urge to punch you when you rattle on about the so called difficult A levels. Ones you call proper A levels are dead easy, insulting in many cases. Many of the other A levels are given a bad name as they've not traditionally been taken by middle class types. Some A levels are easier, but on the whole it depends on what you're good at. One of my cousins from India, he thought A levels Maths was hilarious, and couldn't believe anyone could possibly take something he could do in his sleep too seriously. Incidentally, he is 18 years of age, and considers himself to be merely competent in Maths.
J.S.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I agree with you mate i've done chemistry, biology and psychology and psychology is nowhere as being near as hard as biology and chemistry
I didn't think anything on earth could be as easy as Chem/Bio A level. I've heard it both ways, some claim bio/chem as more difficult, others claim psy.
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
you havent disagreed with anything i have said, so if you tried to do so then, thaen you failed *BIG TIME*.

1.) i dont care what you think
2.) i am talking in general terms
3.) why dont you give oxbridge, york, durham, london uni's a call
4.) maths ,english, science etc are more important than psychology, sociology, film studies, health and social care (GENERAL TERMS, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT WHETHER ITS BETTER FOR A GIRL WHO FAILED GCSE'S AND WANTS TO DO EASY A-LEVELS TO SCRAPE INTO COLLEGE)
BABYGUY
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
No: Nearly Everyone Claims Bio, Chem, Maths, Etc Is Harder Than These Mickey Mouse Subjects, Only Very Few People Pretend That Its The Other Way Round In Order To Get Attention.
J.S.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
lol at mr. unreg. fact 1, i think oxbridge, york, warwick opinion aswell as 95% of this forum counts more than yours, secondly, the reason that more maths people get A Grades, is because the more advanced, intelligent people take the subject because it is demanding. i.e.) the less clever ones are weeded out. the reason psychology is lower, is because the less clever people (in genral) take it as it is a "softer" subject FACT, therefore a much larger % get like C's. Maths is harder (clearly), but because the clever clogs are advised to do it, they do get the good grades. Hence, a huge majority of these people are the ones who do fill up the places at oxbridge, york, warwick, durham, london etc.

*i think i know what i am talking about here*

Fact: LOL!!!!
J.S.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Lol, fair enough. But the A-Level should stay otherwise we could abolish all the so-called non-respected A-Levels and we'd have A-Levels only suitable for the brainy kids which isn't fair on the pupils who really tried hard at their GCSEs but still have little understanding of their subjects.
Think there's one at Warwick which asks for AAB.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Iwould argue about where you have placed psychology and politics, but on the whole I agree.
I am a mature student who is only doing two A-Levels (English Language and Government & Politics).

When I rang up Leeds Uni they asked me what A-Levels I was doing and even commended Politics as a good choice (I want to do Law at Uni). Many people have remarked that the red brick uni's would not look to take me had I been studying film/media studies.

Politics is such a vital area especially with the expansion of the EU and all the other stuff going on in the world today.

Many people have said that in hoping to take a degree of Law with Politics (LLB/POL) I am making a wise choice.

Politics a joke subject - I doubt it!
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
One of my cousins from India, he thought A levels Maths was hilarious, and couldn't believe anyone could possibly take something he could do in his sleep too seriously. Incidentally, he is 18 years of age, and considers himself to be merely competent in Maths.
Incidentally, Maths is considered the hardest A-Level, and noone in my school who doesn't do further maths got above a C. So it's not in your sleep stuff I guarantee you.
J.S.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Incidentally, Maths is considered the hardest A-Level, and noone in my school who doesn't do further maths got above a C. So it's not in your sleep stuff I guarantee you.
Highlights how subjective it is. I know many people who found it dead easy. If nobody in your school got above a C, that say's more about your Maths dept. than the A level itself. Maybe it's not 'in your sleep stuff for you', but lets not generalise.
J.S.
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Also, A level Maths is very easy relative to university level. Many grade A students in Maths get very low marks at degree level, I can think of several people who aced Maths A level (including a few I know that averaged near 90%) and got 3rds at degree level. If Maths A level was so exceptionally difficult, that shouldn't be the case. You may argue that a Maths degree is just so darn difficult, however, no conclusive evidence for that either. For instance, as compared with Law/Politics, there is more failure in degree level Maths, however a higher propotion of people get first class honours.

The reason Maths A level is so respected is simply because the Brits aren't too good at it (even though we're not that bad, i.e. high number of grade A's). Take your Maths A level to Japan, or parts of India...see what they'd think of it. Universally, it really isn't regarded as being particularly difficult.
Tek
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
If I had my way there wouldn't be a degree in Film Studies.
Yes, or 'Law with Furniture Textile Design' for that matter.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (34)
10.03%
Okay (100)
29.5%
A bit lacking (122)
35.99%
Not good at all (83)
24.48%

Watched Threads