The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
J.S.
Also, A level Maths is very easy relative to university level. Many grade A students in Maths get very low marks at degree level, I can think of several people who aced Maths A level (including a few I know that averaged near 90%) and got 3rds at degree level. If Maths A level was so exceptionally difficult, that shouldn't be the case. You may argue that a Maths degree is just so darn difficult, however, no conclusive evidence for that either. For instance, as compared with Law/Politics, there is more failure in degree level Maths, however a higher propotion of people get first class honours.

The reason Maths A level is so respected is simply because the Brits aren't too good at it (even though we're not that bad, i.e. high number of grade A's). Take your Maths A level to Japan, or parts of India...see what they'd think of it. Universally, it really isn't regarded as being particularly difficult.

Err excuse me bitch! That's my subject you're on about! Maths is so well respected in this country because British employers value the skills acquired and developed by doing Maths, i.e. problem-solving, analytical skills, logical reasoning and statistical ability among others. India value cheap labour and the Bollywood trade. Japan value David Beckham, enough said.
Course now you got me worried about when I begin to do Maths at uni. Doh why didn't I pick Economics?!?!
Reply 41
ZJuwelH
Err excuse me bitch! That's my subject you're on about! Maths is so well respected in this country because British employers value the skills acquired and developed by doing Maths, i.e. problem-solving, analytical skills, logical reasoning and statistical ability among others. India value cheap labour and the Bollywood trade. Japan value David Beckham, enough said.
Course now you got me worried about when I begin to do Maths at uni. Doh why didn't I pick Economics?!?!

lol. that was funny.
Reply 42
ZJuwelH

What a moron. If you're not able to do Maths in your sleep, you SHOULD be worried about studying it at univ. Infact, even if you are able to do it in your sleep, even then you have no reason to be too confident. Whoever said anything about what skills are/are not developed through studying Maths?

As for the British, what's the best selling paper across the UK? As for your comments on other nationalities, they`d be offensive if I took you seriously. No need to get too worked up just because they're such huge proportions of Japs/Indians who would find your A level, and your prospective degree to be far easier than you would.
Reply 43
J.S.
What a moron. If you're not able to do Maths in your sleep, you SHOULD be worried about studying it at univ. Infact, even if you are able to do it in your sleep, even then you have no reason to be too confident. Whoever said anything about what skills are/are not developed through studying Maths?

As for the British, what's the best selling paper across the UK? As for your comments on other nationalities, they`d be offensive if I took you seriously. No need to get too worked up just because they're such huge proportions of Japs/Indians who would find your A level, and your prospective degree to be far easier than you would.

Is that because Indian/Asian people are perhaps pushed harder in their home countries?
Reply 44
ZJuwelH

*ALWAYS IS CORRECT, ONCE AGAIN HITS THE NAIL ON THE HEAD*

*BOWS DOWN TO JUWEL IN WORSHIP*
Reply 45
Bhaal85
Is that because Indian/Asian people are perhaps pushed harder in their home countries?

Partially, but it has a lot to do with their system of education. Them being pushed in education would not explain why (the Japanese, for instance) are nowhere near as good at disciplines that require creativity, and yet exceptional at Maths/Sciences.
Reply 46
J.S.

Look yeah, I work hard to do good in Maths and it is a passion of mine, I don't appreciate d*ckh**ds like you telling me it's so easy and just casting it off as such. What does British papers have to do with anything? And who gives a damn about what Japs and Indos have to say about anything? Listen bitch, I will be confident, because I believe in myself and I will do my best. So know your role... AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!
Reply 47
ZJuwelH
Look yeah, I work hard to do good in Maths and it is a passion of mine, I don't appreciate d*ckh**ds like you telling me it's so easy and just casting it off as such. What does British papers have to do with anything? And who gives a damn about what Japs and Indos have to say about anything? Listen bitch, I will be confident, because I believe in myself and I will do my best. So know your role... AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

OH....I GET IT!!! So you let EVIL Juwel out when you want to, but keep silent and not defend me on other threads...ehh??

J/K :biggrin:
Reply 48
ZJuwelH

Yawn...I have to learn to resist getting into petty arguments with 14 year olds.
Reply 49
J.S.
Yawn...I have to learn to resist getting into petty arguments with 14 year olds.

Wouldn't do you much good against an 18-year-old like me, asshole!
Reply 50
*BiG PIECE OF ADVISE: YOU ARE A L-O-S-E-R-*
Reply 51
Advice*
Reply 52
Bhaal85
OH....I GET IT!!! So you let EVIL Juwel out when you want to, but keep silent and not defend me on other threads...ehh??

J/K :biggrin:

Hahaha I got your back next time!
Reply 53
Mark_KK
I am a mature student who is only doing two A-Levels (English Language and Government & Politics).

When I rang up Leeds Uni they asked me what A-Levels I was doing and even commended Politics as a good choice (I want to do Law at Uni). Many people have remarked that the red brick uni's would not look to take me had I been studying film/media studies.

Politics is such a vital area especially with the expansion of the EU and all the other stuff going on in the world today.

Many people have said that in hoping to take a degree of Law with Politics (LLB/POL) I am making a wise choice.

Politics a joke subject - I doubt it!

I was certainly not implyimh Politics was a joke subject, but some people view it as not being wholly respected by some universities.
Reply 54
wherever it psychology, biology or maths there all at the end of the day ADVANCED level. All these subjects are being studied at a HIGHER level according to what they are. Psychology's not soft, you have to study biochemistry, the autonomic nervous system, and many other biological and psychological aspects. SO CAN YOU PLEASE QUIT THE ARGUMENT. Everyone's different, so everyone has a different perception. THANK YOU
Reply 55
having done, maths, physics, history, english language and psychology all to a2 i would say that maths and physics really arent as incredibly tough as people make out. well done if youre good at them, but it doesnt mean youre some kind of genius.

psychology was actually quite tough; most of the people saying its rubbish havent actually taken it so dont know what it involves. for eg the coursework project in a2 involves doing a psychological experiment on at least 20 people, analysing the results (using statistical tets eg. mann-whitney), evaluating results in comparison to other studies etc.

so im sick of people saying maths and physics are the only alevels that matter, because they really arent that special
Reply 56
ZJuwelH

*stares in disbelief* how dillusioned can one person be...

"bitch?" hmm mods can we ban these guys? they are offending my intelliegence with their endless prattle
Reply 57
Lord Huntroyde
I was certainly not implyimh Politics was a joke subject, but some people view it as not being wholly respected by some universities.

Oxford, Cambridge and LSE all regard it highly, who cares about anyone else?
BABYGUY
secondly, the reason that more maths people get A Grades, is because the more advanced, intelligent people take the subject because it is demanding. i.e.) the less clever ones are weeded out.
*i think i know what i am talking about here*

You do realise that maths A level is by far the most popular subject?...are you saying that almost 20% of 16-18yr olds are "more advanced intelligent people"? Or are you just making statements based on gut instinct (ie nothing).
Reply 59
Unregistered
Oxford, Cambridge and LSE all regard it highly, who cares about anyone else?

As a person of mature years who occasionally drops in this board, I am amazed by the number of you who profess to be eduational experts. Perhaps those of you who still haven't actually sat GCSE's should concentrate on their studies instead of spending their days poring over a variety of league tables.

With regard to the relative difficulty of specific subjects: Maths and Physics have a status that other newer subjects haven't got. However I wouldn't trash them all out of hand. I have invigilated examinations, including Sociology and Psychology and they are intensive three hour papers requiring good writing skills and knowledge. Remember, a hudred years ago English Literature (one of my own degree subjects) was considered second rate.

The problem is that some times people have an over reliance on these "new" subjects resulting in an overlap that leaves your career prospects limited in the future. It is not a good idea to take English/Film/Media for instance. Mind you I don't think any better of Maths/Mechanics/Statistics either. My daughters' school has a policy of only allowing them to take one new subject at "A" level.

So a general comment to you all: lighten up, don't spend all your days worrying about the relative presitgiousness of one course or another. Enjoy what you are doing now, research what you want to do in the future, and good luck to all of you whatever stage you are at.

(I would register, but I don't think I fit your profile) EM

Latest

Trending

Trending