The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
edders
having done, maths, physics, history, english language and psychology all to a2 i would say that maths and physics really arent as incredibly tough as people make out. well done if youre good at them, but it doesnt mean youre some kind of genius.

psychology was actually quite tough; most of the people saying its rubbish havent actually taken it so dont know what it involves. for eg the coursework project in a2 involves doing a psychological experiment on at least 20 people, analysing the results (using statistical tets eg. mann-whitney), evaluating results in comparison to other studies etc.

so im sick of people saying maths and physics are the only alevels that matter, because they really arent that special

Exactly Edders. Though I'm not on the same politcal wavelength as you ( ;-)) I totally aggree with what you are saying. And the only people that can make these types of comments are people like us who have taken both maths and psychology, so shut your face babyguy.

I just got an offer from Southampton to study Law/Pol with an AAB offer, despite having 2 (count 'em) so called mickey mouse subjects at a2 level.

Southampton is a part of the 13 strong Russell Group and so you cant say it isnt a respected uni.

And as for you saing anyone who didnt do further maths didnt get higher than a C, your school is absolutely pathetic. My shit stained local comprehensive where I go doesn't offer further maths, yet about 80% of us got higher than a C. Maths is a lot easier than psychology if you are a maths'y person, but the other way round if you are more of a write'y person. It depends on who you are, you retard babyguy.
Unregistered
Southampton is a part of the 13 strong Russell Group and so you cant say it isnt a respected uni.

:ahem: 19 strong
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kings College, Imperial, Leeds, Liverpool, LSE, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, Warwick and UCL.

But otherwise I completely agree :biggrin:
Reply 62
Pencil Queen
You do realise that maths A level is by far the most popular subject?...are you saying that almost 20% of 16-18yr olds are "more advanced intelligent people"? Or are you just making statements based on gut instinct (ie nothing).

Actually (though i dont have actuall evidence to show u that will back it up...ur just have to belive me) Maths is the third most popular subject...1) English, 2)Biology....3)Maths. I read it in the newspaper when the A Level results were out. Tiddly pips..
Unregistered
Actually (though i dont have actuall evidence to show u that will back it up...ur just have to belive me) Maths is the third most popular subject...1) English, 2)Biology....3)Maths. I read it in the newspaper when the A Level results were out. Tiddly pips..

Doh!
You're partly right 1st is English (85,500), then General Studies (56,900), then Maths (49,200), then Biosci (44,000)...
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000420/tab004.shtml

(I was looking at a table split by gender and looking at the wrong column)
Reply 64
Ok..my bad...i apoligise
Reply 65
Pencil Queen
:ahem: 19 strong
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kings College, Imperial, Leeds, Liverpool, LSE, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Sheffield, Southampton, Warwick and UCL.

But otherwise I completely agree :biggrin:

Thanx pencil queen lol ... *runs away red faced* lol ;-)
Reply 66
Would U Lot Stop Dissin Subjects!! I Strongly Agree With Happy Sunshine That It's All About The Individual, Not The Subject. My As Subjects Are Sociology, Media Studies, History And English Language, And None Are Easy. It Really Gets On My Nerves When Peeople Label Certain Subjects As 'easy'. I Love Media Studies So Much, And Hell It Aint Easy. The Theory Is Difficult, Media Is Consumed By Everyone And That's Why You Think It's Easy. The Thing Is, You Don't Have The Faintest Idea About The Cunning Ways In Which The Media Works To Play With Your Mind. By The Way, English Langauge May Be A 'respected' A Level But Media Studies Is Infact Harder As It Requires More Thinking Rather Than Just Linguistically Analysing A Text. Sociology Is Not 'easy' Either, It's A Highly Interesting Subject Which Enlightnens You On Important Corruptions In Society Which People That Take Maths And Biology Would Be Totally Unaware Of. I Bet I Couldn't Pass A Maths A Level And A Maths Student Couldn't Pass An English Language Paper. Some Brains Are More Methodical Thinking, And Those Individuals Opt For Maths And Chemistry Etc... And Some Of Us Are More Creative And Like To Think Deep, Therefore Subjects Like Media And Sociology Are Brilliant. Seriously People, Media Is Such A Fascinating Subject, Just Watching One Programme I Could Write Ten Pages Describing About A Thousand Techniques Missed By The Viewers, That Help To Ideologically Brainwash Viewers And The Techniques Used, Eg Camera Angle, Colours, Lighting, To Help Represent Something In A Certain Way According To The Person Who Is Producing The Programme. All English Language Is, Is A Load Of Crap Frameworks, Which Can Be Easily Used To Analyse A Text Linguistically.
Reply 67
I took History, English Language, Media Studies, Film Studies and Citizenship for AS and I got 4 As and a B- the B being in the "easy" Media Studies. I also took Media, Film and History to full A Level (seeing as English Language bored me to death) and so far I've had offers to study politics from three universities- including Nottingham and Sheffield.

It's not that I couldn't do Maths or Science (I got As in them at GCSE), and it wasn't that I found these subjects easier- I just enjoyed them more.

As for film studies, if English Literature is considered a serious subject, then why not film studies? Why makes studying books so superior to studying films? It's not like we watch Hollywood blockbusters all day, we study things like Film Noir, Italian Neo Realism, and British film in the 1960s. Some of them are so awful that they make the English literature texts look interesting.

I also find it funny that some of the people going on about how easy certain A Levels are haven't even taken their GCSEs. That's a really informed opinion.

I will, however, happily admit that Citizenship is a very easy subject. We had half the teaching time of normal subjects, we spent more time talking about Iraq than what was on the syllabus, and my revision consisted of reading though the textbook the night before, and I got an A in each module. Although we didn't decide to take that subject, the college wanted everybody to do it as an extra one.
I got an A in my AS Psychology but it wasn't always easy. I was considering dropping it at the end of the year since I did so bad on this specimen paper they gave out in February but I stuck in there and revised hard for it. I guess I could say I revised the hardest for Psychology out of all the 5 subjects I did last year. It's only 'easier' than subjects like Maths and the Sciences because it's more fun and interesting. It has more of a 'purpose' than, Maths for example because I sometimes wondered why the hell would I need to know trigonometry. It might be useful for some people but I would rarely use it.
Reply 69
jediknight007
It has more of a 'purpose' than, Maths for example because I sometimes wondered why the hell would I need to know trigonometry. It might be useful for some people but I would rarely use it.

I know exactly what you mean. Personally, I find stuff like representation of women and ethnic minorities in the media far more useful in the "real world" than anything I ever learnt at GCSE maths. When the hell am I ever going to need to use circle geometry?
Hello,everyone.May I ask you a question?
Further maths and Politics and Government,which one is better?
The other 3 subjects which I will do are Physics,Maths,Economics.
I want to do law in university but I am good at further maths.
Please help me!:smile:
Reply 71
hey peeps

i don't reckon that physics and maths are necessarily harder than anything else - and i've kind of tested them out, doing a physics degree an' all. besides, lets face it, physics is basically maths. nuff said. i was wondering, does anyone know how the hell i can go about doing more alevels (or a2's is that right?)? cos as far as i can see there's hardly anywhere in soton to do 'em! maybe im being blind but the city college had nowt and nor did easleigh college from what i could tell - am i missing summat? oh and whatever u pick to do if ur going to uni, pick it cos u like it, you'll regret it otherwise (like me)

:smile:
is classic civilisation respected
amrou
is classic civilisation respected

yes