The Student Room Group

University- Collusion Turnitin

Hi Guys,

I can’t believe I’m saying this however, the last year of my university degree I’ve had a lot of mental and physical health problems for various reasons. My mental state has been rock bottom and the university have been aware of this. It completely affected my term so I submitted ECs regarding all 4 modules.

My plan was just to completely leave and not submit anything for the courseworks however my parents put a lot of pressure on to get something submitted even though I didn’t feel like I could. As stupid as it may sound my friend sent me his paper to help me out in the sense of getting an idea.

However I panicked and wasn’t thinking straight and last minute added a few points that he mentioned however re worded them. Turnitin came up with a similarity of 38% and 31% of it to uni papers at my uni.

I can’t believe I have done something like this since my EC seems like it is going to be accepted.

I spoke regarding turnitin deletion of coursework files but my uni advised all they can do is leave a note on the coursework for the lecturer to not mark it. Would this make any difference somehow?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Guys,

I can’t believe I’m saying this however, the last year of my university degree I’ve had a lot of mental and physical health problems for various reasons. My mental state has been rock bottom and the university have been aware of this. It completely affected my term so I submitted ECs regarding all 4 modules.

My plan was just to completely leave and not submit anything for the courseworks however my parents put a lot of pressure on to get something submitted even though I didn’t feel like I could. As stupid as it may sound my friend sent me his paper to help me out in the sense of getting an idea.

However I panicked and wasn’t thinking straight and last minute added a few points that he mentioned however re worded them. Turnitin came up with a similarity of 38% and 31% of it to uni papers at my uni.

I can’t believe I have done something like this since my EC seems like it is going to be accepted.

I spoke regarding turnitin deletion of coursework files but my uni advised all they can do is leave a note on the coursework for the lecturer to not mark it. Would this make any difference somehow?

38% and 31%, are these for different assignments or is it a single assignment, combined to make a total turnitin score of 69%?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
38% and 31%, are these for different assignments or is it a single assignment, combined to make a total turnitin score of 69%?


It’s a single assignment. 38% overall similarity and 31% of it to papers within my uni
I would speak to your Student Union to get advice ahead of receiving any formal notice from your department.

Penalties for collusion in final year can be severe, so it's best to find out the process and what your options are now.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I would speak to your Student Union to get advice ahead of receiving any formal notice from your department.
Penalties for collusion in final year can be severe, so it's best to find out the process and what your options are now.


Is it safe to speak to the student union regarding this without them disclosing anything further?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it safe to speak to the student union regarding this without them disclosing anything further?


Yes, they are a seperate entity from your uni and can give impartial advice.

If you are at all concerned, check with them whether they are obliged to disclose anything but they shouldn't be unless it is something illegal.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, they are a seperate entity from your uni and can give impartial advice.
If you are at all concerned, check with them whether they are obliged to disclose anything but they shouldn't be unless it is something illegal.


Thank you I will check.

Do you have any information regarding leaving a note on the assignment to not get it marked? Will this make a difference
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you I will check.

Do you have any information regarding leaving a note on the assignment to not get it marked? Will this make a difference

Unfortunately I don't, I wasn't even aware that this was an option. My gut feeling is that it wouldn't, because the collusion happened regardless, but I really am just guessing.

Quick Reply