The Student Room Group

medicine

I have already started my gcse, so far i can get these grades, maths 8, physics 9, chemistry 9, history 9, eng lang 9, drama 5, bio 5, eng lit 5. i will be resitting eng lit and biology next year hopefully get a 9 in those, and i will be in year 12 and by the end of year 12 , i should have gotten six 9's, one eight and one 5 , is there hope for me to go to universities like uni of edingburg, st andrews, uni of glasgow, uni of oxford, so are the universities i want to get in hopefully to study medicine
Reply 1
if you get 5 in bio, does ur school let you take it for a - level?
Reply 2
most of the time, universities don’t care about gcses, it’s your a levels. obviously oxbridge is a lot stricter but if you are resitting biology next year, how can you do it for a level? i would say focus ALL of you revision right now in biology.., revise AS much as possible past papers flashcards everything maybe even get a tutor. and paper 2 will pay off for gcse
Reply 3
also, i don’t know much about the universities you have mentioned so they may look at your gcses i’m not too sure abt that
Original post by sahanas
most of the time, universities don’t care about gcses, it’s your a levels. obviously oxbridge is a lot stricter but if you are resitting biology next year, how can you do it for a level? i would say focus ALL of you revision right now in biology.., revise AS much as possible past papers flashcards everything maybe even get a tutor. and paper 2 will pay off for gcse

i'm not doing biology for alevel, i'm only doing chemistry, physics and maths for alevel, the universities i want to apply for to study medicine, do not require biology, i'm only resitting gcse biology and english literature to increase my average gcse points
Original post by sahanas
if you get 5 in bio, does ur school let you take it for a - level?

i'm pretty sure no school in london will accept a grade 5 to study alevel biology, most of the require at least a grade 6
Original post by ayomide 0514
i'm not doing biology for alevel, i'm only doing chemistry, physics and maths for alevel, the universities i want to apply for to study medicine, do not require biology, i'm only resitting gcse biology and english literature to increase my average gcse points

First off, I'm sure there are colleges that will let you in with a 5 at a level bio. I would recommend doing biology rather than physics at a level since everything taught won't be revisited in med school; rather they will assume you know biology to college standards. Also while universities say they only require chemistry, they may still be biased to choose someone who's studies are more related/suitable for the course than otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest