The Student Room Group

Budgeting University Costs

Hey there,

I’ve seen approx costs for University living away from home but outside London. Appreciate costs between Universities/accommodation etc differs - can anyone give approx yearly cost (not including tuition fees) - how much a month to live ? Live an average/good standard ? What do you need a month - not including accommodation costs for 1st year - then what you need to include accommodation costs the following years ? How do people manage on the full maintenance? (Won’t get full amount for our young person - will have the minimum) so any indications would be really helpful thank you
Original post by ilovelemons
Hey there,

I’ve seen approx costs for University living away from home but outside London. Appreciate costs between Universities/accommodation etc differs - can anyone give approx yearly cost (not including tuition fees) - how much a month to live ? Live an average/good standard ? What do you need a month - not including accommodation costs for 1st year - then what you need to include accommodation costs the following years ? How do people manage on the full maintenance? (Won’t get full amount for our young person - will have the minimum) so any indications would be really helpful thank you

If you give the name of the uni, student reps will reply with their experience. :smile:
Original post by normaw
If you give the name of the uni, student reps will reply with their experience. :smile:

Hi - thanks - choices are University of Bath & University of Liverpool
My University in Scotland published a cost of living guide to prospective students on their website.

Additionally, the student union also provided advice about budgeting.
Hi - thanks - choices are University of Bath & University of Liverpool

There is no longer a rep on TSR for Liverpool but I can help. Liverpool accomm starts at £5-6k per year. There are halls and private lets available in that range that include bills. Private lets are contracted for 51/52 weeks. Food - budget for £30/40 per week. A bus pass will be required for Greenbank accommodation. Social life - the easy way to blow a budget and hard to predict. Good website for private lets:

https://www.liverpoolstudenthomes.org/Housing

@University of Bath can you help with living costs at Bath please?
Original post by normaw
There is no longer a rep on TSR for Liverpool but I can help. Liverpool accomm starts at £5-6k per year. There are halls and private lets available in that range that include bills. Private lets are contracted for 51/52 weeks. Food - budget for £30/40 per week. A bus pass will be required for Greenbank accommodation. Social life - the easy way to blow a budget and hard to predict. Good website for private lets:
https://www.liverpoolstudenthomes.org/Housing
@University of Bath can you help with living costs at Bath please?

Thank you
Hey there,

Hi there,

As a student at The University of Bath hopefully I can help here. Bath is known to be more expensive than other university cities, but I have found many ways to budget and manage my outgoing costs during my time here.
In first year, The University of Bath offers a range of accommodation both on campus and in the city, and the prices vary depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking to save money, I recommend a shared bathroom, self-catered accommodation. I was allocated my 5th choice accommodation Westwood Quantock - and was really worried about sharing bathrooms, but it was honestly fine and ended up saving me a good £2K overall for the year compared to some en-suite options. All accommodation prices can be compared here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-accommodation-prices/. Group or shared meals and bulk cooking also meant food costs were reduced. I spent around £20-25 a week on meals and was cooking every day. Our flat ordered a group shop every week and delivered to the accommodation and we split delivery fee. Travel costs didn’t affect me as I lived on campus in first year and only went into the city centre occasionally at the weekends, even then only a ~30-minute walk downhill (and gorgeous views) saved a bus fare.

In my first year I spent roughly £250-350 a month on social, travel, food cost and other expenses so was able to budget while still being able to have a good time and eat well. It may be more now since this was a couple years ago, and cost of living has since increased.

In second year, for rent you can generally expect to pay around £500-£700 pppm for rent. You can get bills included or work out your utility bills yourself - which I recommend doing if youre looking to save money. In second year, we paid £495 pppm for rent and around £95 pppm for bills as we decided to do a package through Unihomes. Although our rent was on the cheaper side, we ended up spending more as we went through Uni Homes , compared to others who were doing it separately through providers such as Octopus energy or Fuse etc. For my final year, rent has increased to £570 pppm however we plan to arrange utility bills ourselves. Most of the second- and third-year students live in an area called Oldfield Park which is great as your friends will likely be a 10–15-minute walk away. Travel cost is extra since you have to commute up to campus. I purchased a year-long bus pass which was £499 at the time however this has increased to £672 for next year. Monthly/ weekly passes are a slightly cheaper alternative. There are also accommodation options in Bearflat, Combe Down (flat cycle to campus) etc. Areas closer to the Royal Crescent and within the city centre are more expensive.

The University provides a lot of financial advice and support for students such as short-term loans, bursaries and scholarships which you can find out more about here: Student Money Advice (bath.ac.uk). There are also many jobs within the SU and the university which are well paying. For example, I have worked as a student ambassador for the university which is very flexible, zero-hour contract and the money I get from this assists with my social and food costs. There are also a lot of weekend jobs available for students in the city centre. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/ - Some great advice on here too.

Ultimately, it really depends on the individual and their preferences i.e. If you like to out more often, buy food from more expensive stores, eat out more often, goes to the gym, involved in sports etc.

You can find more guidance and advice through these links here, as well as student blogs and their experience on budgeting at University too:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/cost-of-living-advice-and-support-for-students/
https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/considering-the-cost-of-studying-at-university/
https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/pvc-student-experience/2024/06/14/supporting-our-students-through-the-cost-of-living-crisis-and-how-we-can-help-moving-forward/
https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/students/category/budgeting-finance/

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions!

Sharon (3rd year student)
Hey there,

Hey!

Budgeting when you start at university can be really difficult when you first start! I have linked out cost of living page here so that you can see a fully breakdown of monthly costs that you can expect when you go to uni!

I found that a good budgeting tip I worked out was to have my student loan come into one account and then transfer myself a set amount each week to live off. This makes sure you don't go over budget each week!

I hope these tips help,

Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply