The Student Room Group

A level Spanish or French or maths

I’m currently in year 11 and for my a level options I put biology chemistry French and Spanish. I don’t want to do both languages so I put both and I’ll decide once I’ve started. But when I was revising for maths I had a whole day and I didn’t get as bored as I thought so should I swap a language for maths.
Original post by Bubbles2538
I’m currently in year 11 and for my a level options I put biology chemistry French and Spanish. I don’t want to do both languages so I put both and I’ll decide once I’ve started. But when I was revising for maths I had a whole day and I didn’t get as bored as I thought so should I swap a language for maths.

Hi @Bubbles2538 ,

I think having a range of A-level will be useful. However, I think that it is dependable on what you want to do in the future, if your plans are to do anything language related then I'd keep the two languages.

However, I'd like to comment that STEM (in your case Mathematics) and Languages are both respected A-levels to complete. Holding different challenges within them both.

Best of luck with your decision,

Kaprice R [3rd Year - BSc (Hons) Forensic Science]
LSBU Rep
Reply 2
Thank you for replying so quickly. I know you mentioned it would be better to have a range of options. Would bio chem maths still be a good range or is bio chem language be better. I think after a levels I want to something science related
Original post by Bubbles2538
Thank you for replying so quickly. I know you mentioned it would be better to have a range of options. Would bio chem maths still be a good range or is bio chem language be better. I think after a levels I want to something science related

Hi,

Personally as someone who is doing a science based course I'd say the combination based on your skills: Science, Mathematics, Language is what I'd do. Depending on want you want to do university wise would determine which science I'd take. However, with that being said if you do have a course in mind, I'd have a look at a few entry requirements in cause they ask for a particular science or say you do need 2 science excluding mathematics. Or if you want to do medicine, they will ask for a particular combination.

Best Wishes
Kaprice R [3rd Year - BSc (Hons) Forensic Science]
LSBU Rep
im currently in y13 doing French and I love it!!
All A-Level languages follow the same structure but the topics are different, so maybe have a little read through the spec for each one to see which topics interest you more :smile:
Reply 5
I did biology, chemistry and Spanish and loved it. I wanted to do maths but knew that 4 A levels at the time would've been too much for me. Like the others say, maths can be quite beneficial, especially if you want to study a certain STEM subject in the future. Although I wasn't certain, I knew that I was likely to apply for biochemistry/chemistry courses, and I did not need maths for that in a lot of cases at good universities, as I had 2 sciences. The courses that I looked at that tended to ask for maths were more engineering related, and I knew I didn't want to do that.

I personally chose Spanish over maths as I really wanted to have a bit of variety at A level and it kept things interesting. I loved Spanish at GCSE and knew I wasn't going to be able to study it much at uni, and I wanted to improve my proficiency in another language too, so studying in sixth form (rather than on my own) made it easier. I also enjoyed the discussions we had in Spanish about current topics and global issues, which I wouldn't have done, had I stuck to the purely STEM combination. I do sometimes wish I had done maths as I loved it before GCSE, but I definitely don't regret my choice.

Quick Reply