The Student Room Group

Should I do French a-level or Politics a- level?

Basically what the question says. I’m doing Portuguese and Law as my other 2, and I would like to study European Law or International Relations at uni. I’m really not sure which one to pick. My predicted GCSE French grade is 6, and English is an 8 (need a 4 for Politics).

Any help would be appreciated as I’m finding it really hard to pick!!!
Reply 1
at the end of my french a level here, as much as i do love french and would recommend it, in your position where you already have portuguese, 2 languages is a lot.. french is tough enough as it is and having another language on top of it (unless you are already fluent in portuguese) is even more difficult. id say having 1 language in the mix is useful so maybe politics.
Reply 2
That depends on if you want to talk French or talk *******s. 😊
Original post by maria:o
at the end of my french a level here, as much as i do love french and would recommend it, in your position where you already have portuguese, 2 languages is a lot.. french is tough enough as it is and having another language on top of it (unless you are already fluent in portuguese) is even more difficult. id say having 1 language in the mix is useful so maybe politics.

Thank you! I am already fluent in Portuguese as I am Portuguese, but I struggle with grammar so you might be right that doing 2 languages could be a lot. Thanks for your advice!!
Reply 4
Original post by saraalegria
Basically what the question says. I’m doing Portuguese and Law as my other 2, and I would like to study European Law or International Relations at uni. I’m really not sure which one to pick. My predicted GCSE French grade is 6, and English is an 8 (need a 4 for Politics).

I currently study politics at A level and it will definitely be more useful to you if you want to study European law or international relations - particularly if you study global politics in your second year (for the Edexcel specification). Since you are already doing one language, I think that doing anymore than one for anything except a modern languages degree would be unnecessary. I find politics very helpful and interesting and it has definitely influenced me to apply to study law in September. Unless you really love languages, then I would say that Portuguese, law and politics would be the best combination for you. There is some overlap between politics and law, but I think that politics tends to be more detailed as a specification. From what I've heard, law only really focuses on what the law is and how to apply it, whereas politics looks at both UK politics, government and international systems of governance and asks you to evaluate views and give a judgement in your essays.
Original post by bibachu
I currently study politics at A level and it will definitely be more useful to you if you want to study European law or international relations - particularly if you study global politics in your second year (for the Edexcel specification). Since you are already doing one language, I think that doing anymore than one for anything except a modern languages degree would be unnecessary. I find politics very helpful and interesting and it has definitely influenced me to apply to study law in September. Unless you really love languages, then I would say that Portuguese, law and politics would be the best combination for you. There is some overlap between politics and law, but I think that politics tends to be more detailed as a specification. From what I've heard, law only really focuses on what the law is and how to apply it, whereas politics looks at both UK politics, government and international systems of governance and asks you to evaluate views and give a judgement in your essays.

Okay, thank you so much for your help. It was really helpful to get the insight of someone who’s doing similar to what I want to do. I think I might to politics.
Original post by saraalegria

im currently in y13 doing both French and politics. I love and really enjoy doing both, however language a-levels are a big step up from gcse and feel harder to grasp and do well for the first couple of months (this is how I felt anyway, others may feel differently). politics has been easier to grasp and get good grades in from the start of y12, but make your resources as you go along!! maybe have a read through the course spec for each subject, see which you like the sound of more but generally speaking, id say politics may be the better choice for you :smile:
Original post by erin11
im currently in y13 doing both French and politics. I love and really enjoy doing both, however language a-levels are a big step up from gcse and feel harder to grasp and do well for the first couple of months (this is how I felt anyway, others may feel differently). politics has been easier to grasp and get good grades in from the start of y12, but make your resources as you go along!! maybe have a read through the course spec for each subject, see which you like the sound of more but generally speaking, id say politics may be the better choice for you :smile:

Brilliant thank you! I think I might do politics but I will definitely have a look at the spec

Quick Reply