The Student Room Group

What do Oxford/Cambridge each prefer in an applicant?

I’m a year 12 student looking to apply to Oxbridge for maths this autumn. I recently was told Oxford cares more about GCSEs than Cambridge which I didn’t know before. I was wondering which university of the two cares more about:
-super curriculars

-predicted grades

-entrance test results

I’d also appreciate advice on whether GCSE grades of 7 9s, 3 8s and a 7 are good enough that I should put Oxford ahead of Cambridge (ignoring other factors). I feel like I see a large amount of students getting better than this online. In the context of my school, I don’t know of anyone who did better but some people got similar.

Thanks!
Reply 2
I’ve looked at the entry requirements/application pages for both already and understand them but they don’t say much about preferences compared to the other university. I also don’t think I will be able to attend the open days to ask.
Reply 3
Original post by lucyy06
I’ve looked at the entry requirements/application pages for both already and understand them but they don’t say much about preferences compared to the other university. I also don’t think I will be able to attend the open days to ask.

Gcse results have to be good (but not perfect, yours seem fine for both assuming the 9s are in maths and similar subjects) and supercurriculars have to show a passion/interest in maths, but they recognise that there are a wide variety of kids applying with very varied backgrounds. Predicted results have to meet the entry requirements so something like A*/A*/A, but the main selective things are the interview and test(s).

Few universities will compare themselves with another. It rarely goes well.
(edited 1 month ago)
You can post specific questions about each Uni on the relevant Student Room Forum :
(2) Oxford Undergraduate - The Student Room
(2) Cambridge Undergraduate - The Student Room

Quick Reply