The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature Paper 2

I’m a grade 7+ student and I was under great pressure when walking into the exam hall. As the exam began, I was confused on why the timer and start/end time wasn’t on the board considering how important timings are for english exams. I didn’t want to waste any time so I began writing anyways. About 10 minutes into the exam, the examiners finally put up the timer along with the start and end time. As I was sitting at the front, the first ”End time” I saw was 11:57. I didn’t have time to calculate if that was correct as I simply could not afford to waste a minute in an English exam. To my horror, I realized I accidentally read the time for extra time on the board when my heart dropped as the examiner announced 5 minutes left just as I had finished my introduction for the 24 marker 🥲. I wrote about 3 minuscule paragraphs just cramming all of my points with the best analysis I could in 5 minutes and ofc the 8 marker was completely out of the window 😭. I broke into tears after my exam and my english teacher had to calm me down and told me that based on my writing level, she believes i’ll be fine. I’m just seriously stressed considering i was aiming for a 7 and above and I don’t think that’s possible anymore. I just had to get unlucky for my final exam. Am I seriously done for?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by heartcats
I’m a grade 7+ student and I was under great pressure when walking into the exam hall. As the exam began, I was confused on why the timer and start/end time wasn’t on the board considering how important timings are for english exams. I didn’t want to waste any time so I began writing anyways. About 10 minutes into the exam, the examiners finally put up the timer along with the start and end time. As I was sitting at the front, the first ”End time” I saw was 11:57. I didn’t have time to calculate if that was correct as I simply could not afford to waste a minute in an English exam. To my horror, I realized I accidentally read the time for extra time on the board when my heart dropped as the examiner announced 5 minutes left just as I had finished my introduction for the 24 marker 🥲. I wrote about 3 minuscule paragraphs just cramming all of my points with the best analysis I could in 5 minutes and ofc the 8 marker was completely out of the window 😭. I broke into tears after my exam and my english teacher had to calm me down and told me that based on my writing level, she believes i’ll be fine. I’m just seriously stressed considering i was aiming for a 7 and above and I don’t think that’s possible anymore. I just had to get unlucky for my final exam. Am I seriously done for?

definitely not!! im so sorry that happened, we usually have people doing extra time in a separate hall so there's not confusion. if youre confident about everything else, it will be fine. everyone i know who did the 8 marker only did a few lines and very short paragraphs for the 24 marker, so it shouldn't make much of a difference. just know that it isn't your fault, good luck and all the best for the rest of your exams <33
Reply 2
Original post by ChocolattePieces
definitely not!! im so sorry that happened, we usually have people doing extra time in a separate hall so there's not confusion. if youre confident about everything else, it will be fine. everyone i know who did the 8 marker only did a few lines and very short paragraphs for the 24 marker, so it shouldn't make much of a difference. just know that it isn't your fault, good luck and all the best for the rest of your exams <33

Thank you so much for your kind words!! 🥹💗

Quick Reply