The Student Room Group

Should I become a Doctor or Lawyer?

Both carrers get alot of respect. I come from a family of nurses, doctors and lawyers. My parents ( both nurses) say that being a doctor would be great, but my cousin, a lawyer, seems to be living very well and has a wonderful job.
There are those in both professions who enjoy their work, just as those are those in both who do not particularly enjoy their job. The points you've mentioned in your post aren't really relevant. It is worth noting that you don't choose to be a 'lawyer' in this country. You choose to be a solicitor or a barrister, and those roles are different. But there's no objective right answer. Irrespective of what others think you should do, what matters is that you do what you want to do. Which are those roles are you drawn to?
I agree with CJ, and add that neither prestige nor making a lot of money are good reasons for choosing a career. Satisfaction in what you do should be the main factor. It is of course important to earn enough money to have a reasonable quality of life, but if you find a thing that you like doing, and make yourself good at that thing, someone will probably pay you a little or a lot to do that thing.
Original post by Aubergenius
Both carrers get alot of respect. I come from a family of nurses, doctors and lawyers. My parents ( both nurses) say that being a doctor would be great, but my cousin, a lawyer, seems to be living very well and has a wonderful job.

Do what you secretly would like to do. Maybe watch some videos on the typical day of a lawyer or doctor
Original post by Aubergenius

Hi @Aubergenius

All of these careers are great, however, they will only be great for you if you actually want to do them. Each of these paths takes a lot of work and a lot of time, if you don't really want to do them then you will not excel or enjoy your career. I would research each of them in more depth and come to your own conclusions. Advice from others is great but it can never be the deciding factor. Also, there are plenty more careers out there that provide similar qualities in terms of "respect" and earnings. I would research a range of options to find what really works for you and makes you excited about the future.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Quick Reply