The Student Room Group

Possible for student to live with non-student in a studio?

Due to some unexpected life circumstances, I’m going to need to move out for my third year of uni. If possible, I would rather not live with other students who are most likely younger than me and want to have fun. There’s nothing wrong with this, I would just love some peace and quiet for my final year, though.

I want to move in with my partner, who is NOT a student and is instead an office worker. My university is in central London, and therefore finding housing in London is very expensive and something I cannot afford.

I’ve been looking online at studio flats for students, which are much more cheaper and suitable for myself. I was wondering if my partner would be able to move in with me as I’m looking at studios rather than shared spaces with other students.

Is this possible or does it depend on the landlord? If this isn’t possible, what are my options?
Student accommodation will usually not consider non-students, or even part-time students, due to the nature of those leases (which among other things assume there is no council tax for the occupants). This is both for uni owned and private student halls.

In my experience finding accommodation for a mix of students and non-students (i.e. working professionals) is often tricky because student lets normally only want (and only allow) full time students, and others often prefer not to lease to students in the first place.

You could see if your uni has any designated "quiet blocks" or similar. Or likewise "dry accommodation" may be quieter anyway. I think realistically though if you're aiming to live in halls you need to accept what goes with it. If you want to live with your partner you will be looking on the private rental market.

My understanding though is most students at central London unis do not live in central London but in a further out borough and commute in via tube. See what is available within a 30-45 minute tube journey from your uni, you might find some cheaper private rental options that way?
Original post by eli_bibi
Due to some unexpected life circumstances, I’m going to need to move out for my third year of uni. If possible, I would rather not live with other students who are most likely younger than me and want to have fun. There’s nothing wrong with this, I would just love some peace and quiet for my final year, though.
I want to move in with my partner, who is NOT a student and is instead an office worker. My university is in central London, and therefore finding housing in London is very expensive and something I cannot afford.
I’ve been looking online at studio flats for students, which are much more cheaper and suitable for myself. I was wondering if my partner would be able to move in with me as I’m looking at studios rather than shared spaces with other students.
Is this possible or does it depend on the landlord? If this isn’t possible, what are my options?

Hi there,
Usually, student accommodations will not consider non-students as dual occupants (due to things like council tax). Although you can check with an accommodation provider that you're interested in, I would say the likelihood that this is permittable is low.

It may be worth looking into co-living spaces that cater to both or housing outside of the city, if you are able to commute in.

Hope this helps!

-Nicky

Quick Reply