The Student Room Group

Economics A-Level?

Originally applied for Maths, Geography and Media Studies for sixth form but got offered Economics instead of Media. For context I'm a grade 7-9 student mostly. Been re-offered media but I'm not sure which one to take. Would economics leave me in a better position for uni? Not sure what I want to study so that could make a difference.
Original post by freddie39
Originally applied for Maths, Geography and Media Studies for sixth form but got offered Economics instead of Media. For context I'm a grade 7-9 student mostly. Been re-offered media but I'm not sure which one to take. Would economics leave me in a better position for uni? Not sure what I want to study so that could make a difference.

Maths is definitely a required subject for a variety of degrees. Geography is sometimes required, but not that often even for geography degrees (will require it for something with physical geography).

Media studies is not a required subject, even for degrees in media studies. Whilst Economics is not a required subject for economics degrees as far as I know, it's deemed more academic than media studies. The universities that care about whether a subject is academic or not tend to be those in the top end.

Personally, I would pick economics over media studies. However, that's primarily because I like talking about theoretical models and debates. Media studies is more essay based and involves more "waffling" than I would like in a subject.

Quick Reply