The Student Room Group

Assignment resubmission advice!

Hi all, just looking for answers regarding my question so I can mentally prepare myself if need be!

I had an incomplete piece of work marked at 20% (roughly 1000 words) (complicated circumstances contributing to my lack of completed work).

I've resubmitted an approx 3500 word piece of work, which still falls below the word count by more than 10%, but I believe it to be a completed piece of work and (hopefully) have met all parts of the assessment brief. Just wondering what my chance are of reaching 40%? Probably an impossible question to answer but my mind is whirring!
Original post by anonymous
Hi all, just looking for answers regarding my question so I can mentally prepare myself if need be!
I had an incomplete piece of work marked at 20% (roughly 1000 words) (complicated circumstances contributing to my lack of completed work).
I've resubmitted an approx 3500 word piece of work, which still falls below the word count by more than 10%, but I believe it to be a completed piece of work and (hopefully) have met all parts of the assessment brief. Just wondering what my chance are of reaching 40%? Probably an impossible question to answer but my mind is whirring!

Hello!

It's difficult to predict the exact outcome, but resubmitting a more complete piece of work that meets the assessment brief gives you a better chance of reaching 40%. Even though your submission is still below the word count, if it effectively addresses the key criteria and demonstrates a clear understanding of the topic, your chances improve. It might also be helpful to speak with your lecturer for feedback or guidance on what else you can do to maximise your score. Good luck!

Best regards,
Natacha
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

This is difficult to answer!

My best advice would be to talk to your tutors about it as they are there to help you and they will have the best knowledge of whether this is okay or not. You can email them, or ask if they are around to have a meeting with you and see if they think it will be okay.

You could also ask your personal tutor or academic advisor for support with this as they will be able to look at the word count you have submitted vs what it is supposed to be, and they can also give you more specific advice for your university. Every uni is different so it depends where you go, what course and what tutors you have.

In future, if you are struggling with word count or just the assignment in general, it's good to go to your academic advisor or tutors as they can help you with any questions you have around it. They won't tell you what to do but in my experience, my tutors have always been really helpful and can sometimes tell you some things you might need to include. I've always found it worth going to them so you might too and it might help to avoid having to redo the assignments.

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply