The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

How strict are Universities on Entry Requirements?

Hi, i have a question. A bit to understand my circumstance is that im redoing my AS Biology alongside my other A levels. My problem is that i don't think ill pass this year doing it either, and I doubt my school will allow me to carry it on anyway. The thing is i need a C to get into Environmental Sciences in Aberystwyth and i just don't think I'll get it. I just wanted to inquire if the entry requirements can change, especially since im doing really well in my other subjects. Thanks if anyone can get me any information, it would be a great help.
Original post by FallowTekh
Hi, i have a question. A bit to understand my circumstance is that im redoing my AS Biology alongside my other A levels. My problem is that i don't think ill pass this year doing it either, and I doubt my school will allow me to carry it on anyway. The thing is i need a C to get into Environmental Sciences in Aberystwyth and i just don't think I'll get it. I just wanted to inquire if the entry requirements can change, especially since im doing really well in my other subjects. Thanks if anyone can get me any information, it would be a great help.

Not likely to change if it's Biology for Enviro Science. Basically, when universities make offers, they 'over-offer' by a % that is based on years of experience of making offers and understanding likely acceptances. So if Amber want say 30 people on their Enviro Science course, they may know from past experience that if they make 45 offers, they will end up with 30 students, more or less. If it's a year of really good exam passes, they might end up with 32 who make their grades and choose Aber, so no-one with a 'near miss' will get an offer. If it's a year of poor exam passes, and only 28 people make their offer, then Aber will look at the 'near misses' and offer the best two a place, to make the course up tot the planned 30. So you need to prioritise picking up the Biology to ensure that C, because it's likely to be a significant subject for the course, not like it's French.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by FallowTekh

Hi there! Please do not hesitate to reach out to our admissions team ([email protected] for Undergraduate programs) to discuss any options/alternatives available to you.

Mostafa.

Quick Reply