The Student Room Group

Thoughts on the higher history exam 2024?

I thought paper 1 was decent, we got a labour reforms essay which was straightforward and a Nazi state question which was also a blessing.

Now we need to talk about paper 2. What a disaster. For those who study migration and empire, I feel your pain. Firstly, the two source question on issue 2 (the experience of immigrants in Scotland) asked us about the reaction of Scots to Irish immigrants. I found it somewhat difficult in regards to recall as the sources pretty much mentioned most reactions from Scots. Then there was that disastrous issue 3 (impact of Scots on the empire) explain question; the question of my nightmares. "Explain the reasons why Scots had an impact on the empire." In the history of the new higher history course, there has NEVER been an issue 3 explain question before. Coincidently, I actually e-mailed the SQA in regards to an issue 3 migration and empire explain question and what it could look like as it had never came up before. The response I got was very vague, I was told to look at the specimen paper's marking scheme. However, as previously stated, an issue 3 explain question has never came up before and surprise surprise, the specimen paper didn't have an issue 3 explain question in it. I need to know other people's thoughts on question 3 of migration and empire.

#rantover (lol)
Honestly, I wasn’t so tripped up about the explain why Scots had an impact because it was vague so we could pull up any example from any country. Think I ended up doing 2 from each country. I was more concerned about the 2source asking about Scots reactions to the Irish. My teacher made up do every single past paper we could find before our prelim and I had never seen a question as specific as that! I’m lucky that I think I remembered enough recall, but I’m surprised no one is talking about how evil that question was. Or maybe it was just me!
Reply 2
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the ‘explain’ question and the ‘reaction of Scots to Irish immigrants question’ Worried i might have got the wrong end of
the stick
Original post by Colenso
Can anyone remember the exact wording of the ‘explain’ question and the ‘reaction of Scots to Irish immigrants question’ Worried i might have got the wrong end of
the stick
I think the explain question was definitely about Scots having an impact on the Empire so asking about our contribution to Australia, Canada, NZ and India and there was a 2source about Scots reactions to the Irish. If I were you I honestly wouldn’t worry about how you answered the question as the exam is over, it’ll just make you worry even more, I’m sure you did your best 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by apples223
I think the explain question was definitely about Scots having an impact on the Empire so asking about our contribution to Australia, Canada, NZ and India and there was a 2source about Scots reactions to the Irish. If I were you I honestly wouldn’t worry about how you answered the question as the exam is over, it’ll just make you worry even more, I’m sure you did your best 🙂

Thanks 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending