The Student Room Group

Physics Extracurriculars

I want to apply to Cambridge for Physics when the time comes but am worried I haven't done anything extra to show a passion for the subject which is heavily emphasised on Oxbridge applications. I'm thinking of starting Air Cadets in September (I want to potentially become a test pilot in the future) so there's that but while it's career related it's not physics related.
Does anyone have some suggestions for what I could do outside of school to show interest in physics, especially astrophysics? I'd like to start in the summer, but I could be abroad then, so remote options would be appreciated as well as in-person things.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by x-wing_pilot
I want to apply to Cambridge for Physics when the time comes but am worried I haven't done anything extra to show a passion for the subject which is heavily emphasised on Oxbridge applications. I'm thinking of starting Air Cadets in September (I want to potentially become a test pilot in the future) so there's that but while it's career related it's not physics related.
Does anyone have some suggestions for what I could do outside of school to show interest in physics, especially astrophysics? I'd like to start in the summer, but I could be abroad then, so remote options would be appreciated as well as in-person things.
Thank you!

Hey!

If you live near a university, see if they do weekend/out of term time high school stuff. For example, my local university ran a weekly Physics masterclass program which I was able to attend when I was at school.

Other things such as researching into certain areas of Physics and writing a report on it, or if your school offers it doing a Physics related EPQ (our school did not offer EPQs but we did a non-assessed similar program where we wrote reports we researched into over a whole year).

You could also look into something such as GCSE tutoring for Physics or running a Physics club at school.

Sometimes you have to get creative with getting supercurriculars, especially if you live in an area where not much goes on. But, the more effort you put in, the better the results :smile:
Original post by bxcs
Hey!
If you live near a university, see if they do weekend/out of term time high school stuff. For example, my local university ran a weekly Physics masterclass program which I was able to attend when I was at school.
Other things such as researching into certain areas of Physics and writing a report on it, or if your school offers it doing a Physics related EPQ (our school did not offer EPQs but we did a non-assessed similar program where we wrote reports we researched into over a whole year).
You could also look into something such as GCSE tutoring for Physics or running a Physics club at school.
Sometimes you have to get creative with getting supercurriculars, especially if you live in an area where not much goes on. But, the more effort you put in, the better the results :smile:

Thanks! I'll look into the EPQ thing in particular, I'd heard that term flying around some of the sixth formers at my school but didn't really know what it was. Upon research though it does sound perfect. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending