The Student Room Group

Limited leave to remain and student finance

Hello, I’ve recently applied for student finance and I wanted to ask if i am eligible for it.

I moved to the UK when I was 8 and have been here for more than half my life as I will be 18 this year.

I’ve only just got my limited leave to remain permit last year January 2023, could I end up not being eligible?
Hello, I’ve recently applied for student finance and Iwanted to ask if i am eligible for it.

I moved to the UK when I was 8 and have been here formore than half my life as I will be 18 this year.

I’ve only just got my limited leave to remain permit lastyear January 2023, could I end up not being eligible?
Hi Examinator_101,

What is your nationality?

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi Examinator_101,
What is your nationality?
Thanks,
Calum

I’m Nigerian
Hi Examinator_101,

If you are a Rest of the World national with Limited Leave to Remain you would only be eligible for funding under long residency. You would need to have been living in the UK for half your life or 20 years for this. You will need to show evidence of your residency for this period and also send us evidence confirming your identity and current status.

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
If you are a Rest of the World national with Limited Leave to Remain you would only be eligible for funding under long residency. You would need to have been living in the UK for half your life or 20 years for this. You will need to show evidence of your residency for this period and also send us evidence confirming your identity and current status.
Thanks,
Calum

I moved to England when I was 8 years old in 2014 and been here since then (been here for 9 soon be 10 years al I’m 18 in 3 months)
I just got my first limited leave to remain in England last year January 2023
I have proof from school letters which I have attended
Would I be applicable for long residency?
Sorry if it feels repetitive I’m just so unsure and I’m king of panicking
Hi Examinator_101,

Yes, based on what you have outlined above you could apply for funding based on long residency.

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
Yes, based on what you have outlined above you could apply for funding based on long residency.
Thanks,
Calum

Sorry to be a bother, one more thing it says in an email sent by sfe that I need to prove I’ve been lawfully resident in the UK for 3 years preceding the first day of the first academic year of your course. Which like I said I’ve only just got my first limited leave to remain (which I sent to them during the application process) last year does this affect my eligibility?
Hi Examinator_101,

Were you not lawfully resident for the 3 years before the start of your course? What was your status in the UK?

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
Were you not lawfully resident for the 3 years before the start of your course? What was your status in the UK?
Thanks,
Calum

I dont think so as I just got my first limited leave to remain in January 2023, I was just living in England before then looking to apply for residence permit
Hi Examinator_101,

If you were in the UK illegally for the 3 years before the start of your course then you would not be eligible to apply for funding.

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
If you were in the UK illegally for the 3 years before the start of your course then you would not be eligible to apply for funding.
Thanks,
Calum

What can I do now?😭
Hi Examinator_101,

You would not be eligible for any funding from SFE if you have been in the UK illegally for the 3 year residency period, there is no alternative way around this.

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
You would not be eligible for any funding from SFE if you have been in the UK illegally for the 3 year residency period, there is no alternative way around this.
Thanks,
Calum
Do I have to apply for international student finance?
Hi Examinator_101,

You would not be eligible to apply for any finance from SFE.

Thanks,
Calum
Hi Examinator_101,
You would not be eligible to apply for any finance from SFE.
Thanks,
Calum

Hi Calum, does my years at school prove me being an ordinary resident?
Original post by Examinator_101
Hi Calum, does my years at school prove me being an ordinary resident?

Hi there,

Just to say, it's difficult to say for sure since we can't access your account here.

Regarding that e-mail that we sent you, what did it ask you to do? As in, have you been asked to provide some kind of evidence?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Just to say, it's difficult to say for sure since we can't access your account here.
Regarding that e-mail that we sent you, what did it ask you to do? As in, have you been asked to provide some kind of evidence?
Thanks, Graeme
Hi, unfortunately I think I’ve come to peace that I’m not eligible at the moment as I haven’t been in this country as an ordinary resident for 3 years before my course starts. I’m thinking of deferring my offer to next year. Thank you for your help though!
Original post by Examinator_101
Hi, unfortunately I think I’ve come to peace that I’m not eligible at the moment as I haven’t been in this country as an ordinary resident for 3 years before my course starts. I’m thinking of deferring my offer to next year. Thank you for your help though!

Thanks for clarifying, that's no problem - if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending