The Student Room Group

Asking for the impossible.

I applied for uni this yr to study computer science, but Im realising now that I want to study medicine instead, but obviously UCAS applications are closed now. I've heard some unis let you transfer courses, do you think ill be able to transfer into the medicine course if I ask? Or is that just impossible? I don't wanna ask and then look silly
what a levels did you do?
Reply 2
Bio, chem, psychology and maths
did you do the UCAT test?
and get good in your a levels?
if so, there's no harm in asking
Reply 4
I didn't do the ucat because I didn't plan on applying for medicine. I could take the ucat in September this year but idk if theyll allow tht
Original post by huwrhuyrwiol
I didn't do the ucat because I didn't plan on applying for medicine. I could take the ucat in September this year but idk if theyll allow tht

That's too late, you need to take the UCAT in the year prior to entry.

A swap to med will be impossible. You'll need to apply in the next cycle. You'll need relevant work exp in any case.

ok ask your uni for advice perhaps you can do it
Reply 7
Original post by niqabiforever21
ok ask your uni for advice perhaps you can do it

It's rather too late. Places for medicine are heavily in demand, and the deadline to apply was over 7 months ago. The only realistic option is to reapply next cycle and get some work experience in the meanwhile.
Original post by mesub
It's rather too late. Places for medicine are heavily in demand, and the deadline to apply was over 7 months ago. The only realistic option is to reapply next cycle and get some work experience in the meanwhile.

that is what i mean, she should ask if she can do it next year
Original post by niqabiforever21
that is what i mean, she should ask if she can do it next year

Ask their current uni? They won't let them transfer from COMPSCI into Med without a UCAT result. They just need to apply in the next cycle.
Original post by Admit-One
Ask their current uni? They won't let them transfer from COMPSCI into Med without a UCAT result. They just need to apply in the next cycle.

yes that is what she said, she wants to do UCAT and apply for next year
It doesn't involve the current applicant/Uni at all. You will need to take a gap year and start a fresh application with UCAT score, and use the gap year to gain relevent work experience. You would need to start this work experience late summer in order to get a reasonable application in by October
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 12
I applied for uni this yr to study computer science, but Im realising now that I want to study medicine instead, but obviously UCAS applications are closed now. I've heard some unis let you transfer courses, do you think ill be able to transfer into the medicine course if I ask? Or is that just impossible? I don't wanna ask and then look silly

Unfortunately I highly highly doubt they'd just let you just 'transfer'. Medicine is highly competitive. Thousands of applicants have built up a profile full of work experience and have prepared the interviews to death. Also, you need to have a high score on a medical entry exam such as the UCAT and the period for that was last summer.
Having said that, you could always ask - the worst thing they can say is no.

However, without the UCAT I don't think they'll even see it as an option. I recommend you take a gap year if you really want to do medicine and do your UCAT this summer and apply for 2025 entry.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply