The Student Room Group

UCAS discovery fair

Hi, this is probably a silly question but does anyone have recommendations on what to ask the universities there? I presume all the questions i’d need to ask would be on the unis website but I feel like i’m missing something.
Original post by clareccc
Hi, this is probably a silly question but does anyone have recommendations on what to ask the universities there? I presume all the questions i’d need to ask would be on the unis website but I feel like i’m missing something.

This is not silly at all - it's a great question @clareccc 🙂 I'm a staff member that works at these events and these are some of the best questions I think you should ask to start you off:

What are the optional modules like for this course? Do I have flexibility to choose?

What is the campus really like? Is it busy/quiet, large/small, city/campus?

What is the accommodation like? Is it near or on campus?

How much does it cost to be a student in [x location]?

What is student life like? What types of clubs and societies are there, and is it easy for students to work part time?

I'd also encourage you to think in advance what sort of things appeal most to you as a student. What are you looking for from your student experience? Once you've worked that out you'll be able to ask questions aligned with what you need to know.

We don't mind if you ask us questions that you can find answers to online - that's why we're there! Sometimes speaking to a human is a much better way to get the information anyway 🙂 There's no such thing as a silly question.

It's also ok to approach a uni and say "I'm not sure what I want to ask" - that at least starts a conversation and the uni rep will help you work out what you'd like to know! I find everyone working at these events is super friendly and wants to help you get the information you need to make the right decision for you. There's also often a UCAS help point/area on the day - if you're really stuck you can speak to UCAS staff and they can help you plan your day out.

What sort of subjects are you interested in?

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply