The Student Room Group

Exam techinques

Hi everyone, as I'm getting into my mock season, I have got some techniques that my teachers have taught me but I don't know if you guys have some! I only learnt the Cornell Method which is working well!

Thank you!
As someone doing their gcses right now the main thing that I would say is try not to stress!
In terms of exam techniques the cornell method is more of a way to revise rather than what to do in an exam to do well but ill give you my tips for both exams and revision.
In terms of revision the 2 main things I would say are practice papers and blurting. Blurting is trying to recall all the information that you know on one topic. I find it super useful to do it on something like a whiteboard then see the gaps in my memory. The other thing I would say are past papers and markschemes. These can help you see what you need to improve on, get an idea for what will come up in the exam and see what the examiner wants you to say. However, to be able to do these you need to somewhat know the content first. For learning content i would recommend flashcards. Writing them out yourself is super useful but if you are stuck for time you can find them on quizlet of cgp. For science cognito is super useful. its free and has vidoes and quizzes.
I honestly dont think you really need to buy anything for revision since theres so much online but I have found the cgp workbooks and geography aqa textbook helpful :smile:
in terms of being on in exam it really depends on the subject. if you lmk which subjects you do i can give you more specific info but the main things i would say are stick to timings.
hope this helps, lmk if you have any more questions
Reply 2
Original post by izabella_2891
As someone doing their gcses right now the main thing that I would say is try not to stress!
In terms of exam techniques the cornell method is more of a way to revise rather than what to do in an exam to do well but ill give you my tips for both exams and revision.
In terms of revision the 2 main things I would say are practice papers and blurting. Blurting is trying to recall all the information that you know on one topic. I find it super useful to do it on something like a whiteboard then see the gaps in my memory. The other thing I would say are past papers and markschemes. These can help you see what you need to improve on, get an idea for what will come up in the exam and see what the examiner wants you to say. However, to be able to do these you need to somewhat know the content first. For learning content i would recommend flashcards. Writing them out yourself is super useful but if you are stuck for time you can find them on quizlet of cgp. For science cognito is super useful. its free and has vidoes and quizzes.
I honestly dont think you really need to buy anything for revision since theres so much online but I have found the cgp workbooks and geography aqa textbook helpful :smile:
in terms of being on in exam it really depends on the subject. if you lmk which subjects you do i can give you more specific info but the main things i would say are stick to timings.
hope this helps, lmk if you have any more questions

Here are the subjects I do and exam board:
Photography (AQA)
Food (Edexcel) I think
Geography (AQA)
French (AQA)
English Lit/Lang (Edexcel)
Comb Science (AQA)
Maths (AQA)
Reply 3
Original post by Harfan654
Here are the subjects I do and exam board:
Photography (AQA)
Food (Edexcel) I think
Geography (AQA)
French (AQA)
English Lit/Lang (Edexcel)
Comb Science (AQA)
Maths (AQA)

And here are my predicted grades based on last report
I got the following:
Combined Science Current grade:33 Forecast grade:54
Eng Lang Current grade:3 Forecast grade: 3+
Eng Lit Current grade: 3+ Forecast grade: 4-
Food (A) Current grade: 5- Forecast grade: 5+
French Current grade: 4- Forecast grade:5+
Geography Current grade:4+ Forecast grade: 5
Maths Current grade: 2+ Forecast grade: 4
Photography Current grade:4 Forecast grade:6
Okay so i also do geography aqa and edexcel english. I do aqa science but triple instead of combined but the tips i give should still hopefully be similar.
For geography as someone thats been able to get 8-9s throughout mocks and end of unit tests the best tip i can give you is learn the case studies. Make sure that you know the specific case studies that your school does then memorise as many key facts for them. make sure that you know all the physical geography formations because you will likely get lots of 4 markers in these. practice reading os maps- this is what caught me out in the year ten mock and made me lose a few marks. theyre only 1 markers but 5 1 markers lost could be the difference between a grade. be realistic with your revision. for example, if you study malaysia for the living world you dont need to know every single advantage of deforestation. instead 2-3 key facts for each topic that you have learnt well will help you get a good grade while spending your time well. and also make sure to do past papers. you can find these on the aqa website or can get exam style questions for about a five pounds from cgp.
for english lit i would say its all about practice. at the start of year 10 i got a 5+ in my mock and i got an 8 in my most recent one. pmt has super useful theme and character key facts which i love to use. you also need to know quotes. quizlet and physical flashcards is how i learned these. i would recommend around 20-30 quotes per book but i know people who only did 10 and managed to pass so dont stress yourelf out too much. make sure to do lots of essay plans and then write essays practicing them. you can then give your teachers these for feedback. i would also recommend learning specific context which can make you stand out to the examiner. for example for aic instead of saying preistly was a socalist you can say that he was part of the labour party and advocated for a welfare state.
for english language the main thing i would say is practice. its for sure hard to revise so this is the best i think you can do. i would also say if you struggle with creative writing you can practice writing a high mark one (keep getting your teacher to tell you how to improve) and then try learning that for the exam. im doing this for english language paper 1 tmrw.
for science cognito, learning your required practicals and summary notes are the most useful. then consolidating your knowledge with past papers. especially in bio markschemes are so strict so i think its impossible to achieve an 8/9 if you dont practice past papers and know what your examiner wants from you.
i dont take photography but i have a lot of friends that do and i think their bigggest regret would be not staying on top of their coureswork so make sure to do that
i take spanish not french but practicing key words and phrases for my speaking exam was super useful. i also found it useful to practice lots of photocards and roleplays for your speaking.
maths just practice loads. corbett maths and maths genie are great. tbh i wish i had started doing this earlier because there is so much content along with other exams so starting early can get you a head start
revising for mocks and end of terms as if they are the real thing makes gcses so much easier

Quick Reply

Latest