The Student Room Group

Ireland, Spain and Norway to recognise Palestine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/22/palestinian-state-recognition-ireland-spain-recognise-palestine
Honestly I'm really glad, I'm surprised Ireland didn't kick out the Israeli ambassador already, but it shows Simon Harris isn't as bad as was initially made out...
I'm unsure what impact this would have in the ongoing conflict. As long as the US continues its support for Israel, there will be no stopping of the brutality that we are witnessing in the Gaza strip. Israel would have to suffer some huge casualties or face strategic defeat on the battlefield otherwise I just don't see them stopping any time soon, they may even go into Rafah.

The ICJ and ICC mean nothing when you have power and money. Just look at the 2003 invasion of Iraq which was declared illegal by the UN. The USA and UK(our military) committed some pretty gruesome war crimes and never faced justice.
Reply 2
Original post by jonathan_Smith
I'm unsure what impact this would have in the ongoing conflict. As long as the US continues its support for Israel, there will be no stopping of the brutality that we are witnessing in the Gaza strip. Israel would have to suffer some huge casualties or face strategic defeat on the battlefield otherwise I just don't see them stopping any time soon, they may even go into Rafah.
The ICJ and ICC mean nothing when you have power and money. Just look at the 2003 invasion of Iraq which was declared illegal by the UN. The USA and UK(our military) committed some pretty gruesome war crimes and never faced justice.

None, its a political statement and a fairly boring one at that but every little counts i guess.

As i said in another post, one rule for thee and another for me. is the word of the day, so to speak. Or to put it more bluntly, despite us expressly officially decrying the policy, everyone knows that might makes right.
Ah yes, Nations with major independence movements support a terrorist state independence. Who have have guessed.

Quick Reply