The Student Room Group

College Choices

Hi, I'm a current year 11 whose still trying to figure out what they want to do in College.
I want to do dietetics in University (Going specifically into paediatrics), so I'm thinking of doing Biology and Chemistry A-Level (I enjoy these subjects aswell)
I'm also really interested in Sociology A-Level and Child Development Btec (Equivalent to 1 A-Level), I can't really decide between the two of them.
Should I do all four, or try to narrow it down? I don't have to be sure until enrollment in September tho - thank god.
Any advice?
Can't say much on the subjects themselves (besides Sociology) but I really do not recommend 4 A-Levels
As someone currently doing their A-Levels exams, doing 4 subjects, it really is a nightmare. Even the most smart people I know, who have been revising since the beginning of Year 12, are struggling now that exams are here
Also, most unis don't care for 4 A-Levels, especially if they only look at grades and not tariff points, so I really don't recommend 4

Onto Sociology A-Level, it's pretty good. I guess maybe it depends on the exam board but I'm doing AQA and it's not that bad, but you do need a good teacher who knows their stuff otherwise it can get a bit confusing. With Child Development, I don't know the structure of it but my friend did Health and Social Care Btec which might be a bit similar structure wise? She really enjoyed it. I say, if you know what the exam boards are and the specs, look at them and decide between the 2 which one you'd rather learn because at the end of the day, the only way you'll do well is if you actually enjoy what you're learning.
Reply 2
Original post by biggaymer420
Can't say much on the subjects themselves (besides Sociology) but I really do not recommend 4 A-Levels
As someone currently doing their A-Levels exams, doing 4 subjects, it really is a nightmare. Even the most smart people I know, who have been revising since the beginning of Year 12, are struggling now that exams are here
Also, most unis don't care for 4 A-Levels, especially if they only look at grades and not tariff points, so I really don't recommend 4
Onto Sociology A-Level, it's pretty good. I guess maybe it depends on the exam board but I'm doing AQA and it's not that bad, but you do need a good teacher who knows their stuff otherwise it can get a bit confusing. With Child Development, I don't know the structure of it but my friend did Health and Social Care Btec which might be a bit similar structure wise? She really enjoyed it. I say, if you know what the exam boards are and the specs, look at them and decide between the 2 which one you'd rather learn because at the end of the day, the only way you'll do well is if you actually enjoy what you're learning.

Yeah, the only exam the child development course has is at the end of first year, the rest is coursework so that might make it a bit easier.
My college is having a welcomefest where I'll get to have lessons of all 4, i think that will help me make a decision aswell.
I'm really interested in all four of though, but idk like I said I have till September to decide.
Do sociology, universities prefer an A level over a btec as btecs are thought to be easier. Don’t do 4 A Levels either as universities do not care for this, they only want 3 grades for 3 subjects. It’s not worth the stress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending