The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Inquiries about the visa process

Hello,

I am an offer holder to a PhD programme at the University of Glasgow. I am reaching out to you with some specific queries regarding the visa process.

1. As per the offer letter, I should receive my CAS 3 months prior to the start of the programme. Since my programme is scheduled to begin on the 1st of October, does that mean I will receive it on the 1st of July?
2. I received a PhD scholarship from the university, which will provide a stipend of GBP 19,237 per annum. Now, I intend to bring my wife with me as a dependent. Based on the information provided on the university website and the UK immigration website, I will need to prove that I can fund the maintenance of both me and my dependent for up to 9 months, which amounts to GBP 15327 (9207 for me+6120 for my dependent). Since my stipend exceeds this amount, do you think the scholarship offer letter will suffice as the required financial document?
3. I took the IELTS Academic test to meet the English language requirement for the university. To get a visa, do I need to take the IELTS UKVI Academic test or the IELTS Academic test that I took will suffice?

I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for your time.
Original post by iamunspent
Hello,
I am an offer holder to a PhD programme at the University of Glasgow. I am reaching out to you with some specific queries regarding the visa process.
1. As per the offer letter, I should receive my CAS 3 months prior to the start of the programme. Since my programme is scheduled to begin on the 1st of October, does that mean I will receive it on the 1st of July?
2. I received a PhD scholarship from the university, which will provide a stipend of GBP 19,237 per annum. Now, I intend to bring my wife with me as a dependent. Based on the information provided on the university website and the UK immigration website, I will need to prove that I can fund the maintenance of both me and my dependent for up to 9 months, which amounts to GBP 15327 (9207 for me+6120 for my dependent). Since my stipend exceeds this amount, do you think the scholarship offer letter will suffice as the required financial document?
3. I took the IELTS Academic test to meet the English language requirement for the university. To get a visa, do I need to take the IELTS UKVI Academic test or the IELTS Academic test that I took will suffice?
I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for your time.

Hi there,

I would advise you to contact our international student support on our website, where you can book a 1-to-1 with an advisor. They will be able to give you specific advice!

Thanks,
Elise, 1st Year
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Quick Reply