The Student Room Group

Retaking 2 years of alevel

Im currently sitting my exam right now and I am pretty confident that I will not get the grades for my firm uni and I have thought about clearing but the chances are very unlikely for my course. Either way I wouldnt be opened to that pay for a random course that I will not have my heart in. Chances of clearing seem very very low considering I want to study Law. My problem with retaking is that my college does not accept resits. Ive seen that retakes can be one year to prepare yourself again for the exam but my issue is that I missed a lot of school in year 12 due to working and mental health so I missed alot of content. The way my teachers had taught content for history and english lit was just so appalling so I feel like I have no idea what to do. For context my history department taught paper 1 and 3 in year 12 so you can guess i missed ALOT and my knowledge for those papers are limited. The content taught felt so rushed since we finished learning in January. Usually retakes are for year 13 but considering most of my crucial content was taught in year 12 I’ dont know how to teach myself. I considered retake on the sole purpose of having a sufficient teacher, teaching the content. Even when my attendance improved for english literature i found the teaching absolutely inadequate because the teacher failed to teach the important context and themes around the books we study. I felt really unsupported in this college and many if my peers agree that the teaching style has drastically impacted their grades. I also take psychology which is much easier to learn by yourself and I managed to catch up all of year 12 content. Our teacher in yr 12 actually left in September so we were given a PE teacher who didnt actually teach psychology to teach us by the department teaching him first before he taught us in lesson. This contributed a lot to students not feeling confident about our paper 1. Luckily in year 13 we were given an actual teacher which went a long way because I had learned so much more efficiently when I went to classes.For my other two subjects im undoubtedly gonna fail or not get the predicted grades so what do I do. I cant exactly retake “year 13” because I was much more attentive and confident in year 13 and my main concern was year 12. What frustrates me is the history teaching style the slideshows used were so useless that you couldnt even catch up by urself if you went through them. They asked students to basically learn the content before you come into lesson just for you to sit there for 90 mins talking abt something you just learned urself. Please someone help. Is there anyways to do two years of a level perhaps changing the subjects as well?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Callmekellyy
Im currently sitting my exam right now and I am pretty confident that I will not get the grades for my firm uni and I have thought about clearing but the chances are very unlikely for my course. Either way I wouldnt be opened to that pay for a random course that I will not have my heart in. Chances of clearing seem very very low considering I want to study Law. My problem with retaking is that my college does not accept resits. Ive seen that retakes can be one year to prepare yourself again for the exam but my issue is that I missed a lot of school in year 12 due to working and mental health so I missed alot of content. The way my teachers had taught content for history and english lit was just so appalling so I feel like I have no idea what to do. For context my history department taught paper 1 and 3 in year 12 so you can guess i missed ALOT and my knowledge for those papers are limited. The content taught felt so rushed since we finished learning in January. Usually retakes are for year 13 but considering most of my crucial content was taught in year 12 I’ dont know how to teach myself. I considered retake on the sole purpose of having a sufficient teacher, teaching the content. Even when my attendance improved for english literature i found the teaching absolutely inadequate because the teacher failed to teach the important context and themes around the books we study. I felt really unsupported in this college and many if my peers agree that the teaching style has drastically impacted their grades. I also take psychology which is much easier to learn by yourself and I managed to catch up all of year 12 content. Our teacher in yr 12 actually left in September so we were given a PE teacher who didnt actually teach psychology to teach us by the department teaching him first before he taught us in lesson. This contributed a lot to students not feeling confident about our paper 1. Luckily in year 13 we were given an actual teacher which went a long way because I had learned so much more efficiently when I went to classes.For my other two subjects im undoubtedly gonna fail or not get the predicted grades so what do I do. I cant exactly retake “year 13” because I was much more attentive and confident in year 13 and my main concern was year 12. What frustrates me is the history teaching style the slideshows used were so useless that you couldnt even catch up by urself if you went through them. They asked students to basically learn the content before you come into lesson just for you to sit there for 90 mins talking abt something you just learned urself. Please someone help. Is there anyways to do two years of a level perhaps changing the subjects as well?

I think you would be able to get clearing if worst came to worst, but you’d have to be willing to take whatever uni comes your way. Don’t stress though as you don’t actually have to study law to become a solicitor or barrister if that’s your plan. You can do a conversion course afterwards, or a masters which a lot of the time includes the SQE exams or prepares you for the bar exams.
Reply 2
About conversion courses is it studying ANYTHING can then just converting it to law after one year? Surely it cannot be that easy?

Quick Reply