The Student Room Group

HELP! How can I revise for (Edexcel) Politics Paper 3?

Hey guys,

Is there any reasonable way I can cover all of global politics in just 3 weeks? I’m prepared to spend up to 4 hours a night on this if necessary. Any help with say, organising a study timetable, or how best to revise for this paper would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by starview
Hey guys,
Is there any reasonable way I can cover all of global politics in just 3 weeks? I’m prepared to spend up to 4 hours a night on this if necessary. Any help with say, organising a study timetable, or how best to revise for this paper would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @starview

I did my politics A-level about two years ago now and so thought I could share some tips. Am I right in thinking there are 4 topics/political ideas?

I would say create a plan now dividing the topics over the time you have, so you can make sure you have covered everything. Also consider what it is you need to work on the most, for example is it essay writing, content, quotes, theorists etc. And also decide which revision techniques are going to work for you. Here are some posts I did a while ago that might give you some inspiration Revision Techniques That Helped Me - The Student Room
A-level help - politics, English and textiles - The Student Room

So if you have 4 topic (political ideas/theories) and 21 days (3 weeks), this means you have 5 days to spend on each of the 4 topics, plus an extra day that you could use the day before to recap and look over revision. And if you want to do 4 hours a night this is 20 hours per topic, so you definitely have lots of time. This means you could split your days/time into the subtopics within the political ideas.

When it comes to then planning this I would suggest making a table working back from the date, so split into three weeks or even better the 21 days and then a note of what topic you are going to study that day/week. I would also recommend a general weekly timetable where you can add in your daily/weekly commitments to get a better idea of how much free time you do realistically have. This might make you realise that some days four hours is too much and some you have time for more, but it's important not to overcram your timetable and burn yourself out. Taking breaks can help your memory.

A technique I really recommend for politics is creating question plans, use the questions in the textbook or make up your own and create plans with what points you would make and the quotes and examples you would use. This also helps you see where there are gaps in you knowledge. I also then made these into digital flashcards so I could refresh my memory wherever I was.

I hope this help and good luck :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply