The Student Room Group

Is £200 a week too much for university accomodation???

I just got an offer for accom in the university of Edinburgh. Its around 8000 pounds for 38 weeks and is the most expensive of the 5 accomodations I have applied to. It ends up being £200 a week and i was wondering if that is normal for accomodtion or super expensive? Also considering it is en-suite but further out of edinburgh,
Original post by omgwha
I just got an offer for accom in the university of Edinburgh. Its around 8000 pounds for 38 weeks and is the most expensive of the 5 accomodations I have applied to. It ends up being £200 a week and i was wondering if that is normal for accomodtion or super expensive? Also considering it is en-suite but further out of edinburgh,

Is it £200 a week for shared kitchen+shared bathroom?

Edit: nevermind you’ve stated that it’s an en-suite which in that case for somewhere like Edinburgh yeah that looks about right (I heard that it’s the most expensive place for students to live in: https://www.natwestgroup.com/news-and-insights/news-room/press-releases/financial-capability-and-learning/2023/aug/edinburgh-most-expensive-city-for-students.html#:~:text=Edinburgh%20is%20the%20most%20expensive,and%20cities%20across%20the%20UK.).
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by omgwha

London price is 276 ish a week for self catered own bathroom but shared kitchen
Reply 3
Original post by Talkative Toad
Is it £200 a week for shared kitchen+shared bathroom?
Edit: nevermind you’ve stated that it’s an en-suite which in that case for somewhere like Edinburgh yeah that looks about right (I heard that it’s the most expensive place for students to live in: https://www.natwestgroup.com/news-and-insights/news-room/press-releases/financial-capability-and-learning/2023/aug/edinburgh-most-expensive-city-for-students.html#:~:text=Edinburgh%20is%20the%20most%20expensive,and%20cities%20across%20the%20UK.).

thanks for the input. the amenities look very nice so it might be worth it.. ill have to speak with my parents and see what they think.
Reply 4
Original post by Zoe101!
London price is 276 ish a week for self catered own bathroom but shared kitchen
thanks
Original post by omgwha
thanks for the input. the amenities look very nice so it might be worth it.. ill have to speak with my parents and see what they think.

Yeah see what they think. £200 for an en-suite is expensive in my opinion but given that it’s Edinburgh I can understand the price (even if I don’t agree with it).
Reply 6
My understanding of the student rental market in Edinburgh is that it is more expensive in that city compared to other places in Scotland where for that sum you would be able to live closer to campus or for a little more, have an entire studio. This is due to pressure on the rental market and it beint a tourist destination.

It's a shame you applied for non value related accommodation without doing some calculations first. You can nearly halve your costs if you choose a twin room or lessen it greatly with a shared bathroom.

Many Uni accommodation services do not make any changes to room offers before arrivals and an applicant only gets one offer but you can check directly with their accommodation team first.

This is Ed University room swap policy after you arrive

Transfers

Please note transfers are not normally considered within the first 6 weeks of the first semester unless there are exceptional circumstances. Any approved transfers will also be subject to an administration fee and any adjustment in rent costs.

This policy only applies to residents in University of Edinburgh owned, managed or leased student residential accommodation.

Applying to transfer to alternative accommodation within the University of Edinburgh's owned, managed or leased accommodation estate

Other than for exceptional social and medical reasons, transfers will not be permitted until at least six weeks after the start of the academic year.

You are able to add yourself to the Accommodation Transfer list by completing the form on your MyEd accommodation channel however in the first instance, you must always contact your Warden or Residence Life Coordinator who will be able to give you more information about the process and provide you with suitable support until a move, if approved, may be possible.

If, after the initial period described above, you wish to transfer to another Hall or University flat - and if there is a suitable vacancy available the allocations team will contact you when a move is possible and you can transfer on payment of a £25.00 administration charge; this charge covers the time and resources required to make the arrangements, adjust our systems and produce the necessary paperwork for any transfer that has been agreed.

In certain exceptional circumstances (such as a serious medical or welfare concern), transfers may be permitted before the beginning of week 7 and/or the £25.00 administration charge may be waived.

If you feel your case deserves such special consideration you should make your case in writing

Quick Reply