The Student Room Group

Advice for A level Subjects

What would u advice me on taking politics, economics and IT in A levels? I want to pick the best and the most useful subjects (i have not done o levels in sciences it was in business economics and accounting). Also if the combination of these 3 are good, what other subject can I add?
Reply 1
Original post by Terimakichut
What would u advice me on taking politics, economics and IT in A levels? I want to pick the best and the most useful subjects (i have not done o levels in sciences it was in business economics and accounting). Also if the combination of these 3 are good, what other subject can I add?

When you say IT, do you mean A level IT or A level Computer Science?
Bit of advice: Many universities don't really count ICT as a proper A level subject for certain courses so if you are after an IT-like A level, I would take Computing instead (but know that the workload is very high for it!).

Instead of IT, maybe look at A level Maths or History? Those tend to be the popular combos in my year. With History and your other two, you are looking more into Politics, Law, maybe Econ but a decent number of unis require A level Maths for Econ courses and given the competition for Econ, it would be hard to get into without doing A level Maths.

If you do A level Maths, it will allow you to extend into Econ, maybe look into PPE? It will open doors to say the least and I would say it is quite valued.

I would say best combo for combining all of them would probably be Maths, History and Econ.

But that being said, do the subjects YOU ENJOY, rather than looking at usefulness because if something is useful but you don't enjoy it, you are gonna have no motivation to do work for that subject so make your choices wisely and according to your own interests..

Hope this was helpful.
Original post by vnayak
When you say IT, do you mean A level IT or A level Computer Science?
Bit of advice: Many universities don't really count ICT as a proper A level subject for certain courses so if you are after an IT-like A level, I would take Computing instead (but know that the workload is very high for it!).
Instead of IT, maybe look at A level Maths or History? Those tend to be the popular combos in my year. With History and your other two, you are looking more into Politics, Law, maybe Econ but a decent number of unis require A level Maths for Econ courses and given the competition for Econ, it would be hard to get into without doing A level Maths.
If you do A level Maths, it will allow you to extend into Econ, maybe look into PPE? It will open doors to say the least and I would say it is quite valued.
I would say best combo for combining all of them would probably be Maths, History and Econ.
But that being said, do the subjects YOU ENJOY, rather than looking at usefulness because if something is useful but you don't enjoy it, you are gonna have no motivation to do work for that subject so make your choices wisely and according to your own interests..
Hope this was helpful.

Yeps i did mean A level IT amd not computer science. Oh wow I didnt knew that unis wouldnt really count IT. The problem i that im still very unsure about what to do and what not. PPE is not offered in my school so i dont have any idea about that. So history is better than taking politics (edexcel)? As some people told me politics is better than history. You are also right that maths is required ig i cannot escape from it 😭. Also in our school we are required to choose 4 subjects and not 3 so this is even more tough. I was also always interested in philosophy and i wish i could take that i really would have scored A* but unfortunately that is also not offered. So i was leaning towards more of global prespectives or media studies.
Reply 3
Original post by Terimakichut
Yeps i did mean A level IT amd not computer science. Oh wow I didnt knew that unis wouldnt really count IT. The problem i that im still very unsure about what to do and what not. PPE is not offered in my school so i dont have any idea about that. So history is better than taking politics (edexcel)? As some people told me politics is better than history. You are also right that maths is required ig i cannot escape from it 😭. Also in our school we are required to choose 4 subjects and not 3 so this is even more tough. I was also always interested in philosophy and i wish i could take that i really would have scored A* but unfortunately that is also not offered. So i was leaning towards more of global prespectives or media studies.

When I say PPE, I mean it in the context of uni courses, not an A level so your school won't offer it as an A level.

So since you have to take 4, this is even better. History, Politics, Maths and Econ. You onto a winner here. Not all schools allow 4 (3 at most at some schools so assumed the same here but given a choice, take these 4 and you can drop at any point if you want to.
Original post by vnayak
When I say PPE, I mean it in the context of uni courses, not an A level so your school won't offer it as an A level.
So since you have to take 4, this is even better. History, Politics, Maths and Econ. You onto a winner here. Not all schools allow 4 (3 at most at some schools so assumed the same here but given a choice, take these 4 and you can drop at any point if you want to.

Honestly thats a really tough combo rather than history should i go with media studies or global prespectives or no history would be better
Reply 5
Original post by terimakichut
Honestly thats a really tough combo rather than history should i go with media studies or global prespectives or no history would be better

As I said, do what you enjoy. I'm just going off what I would do in your situation from my own perspective. If you think something would work better for you, trust me, listen to yourself over me! Go for what you want!

I can't really comment on what Media Studies or what Global Perspectives is like because I've not looked into it myself, my school doesn't offer it and I'm not particularly interested in that sort of thing. It's not my cup of tea.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Thankyou so much for guiding i took into account everything u said. Ill definitely see what I can do as I really do not want to burden myself but I also have 0 idea about all this. It was very surprising that IT is not really regarded as highly as I really thought
Thankyou so much <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending