The Student Room Group

Psychology or English lit for medicine?

Guyss! I really don’t know. I am so passionate about psychiatry (postgrad) and really want to study it (medicine undergrad) at Edinburgh university or somewhere similar. I’m currently
picking my a levels - Biology, chemistry and then I either need to choose English literature or psychology. I much prefer English as it is my favourite subject at GCSE however will psychology be required and give me a better chance at uni? Please let me know! (I’ve checked and maths is not required at A Level!)
Original post by Kkkkkk1111111
Guyss! I really don’t know. I am so passionate about psychiatry (postgrad) and really want to study it (medicine undergrad) at Edinburgh university or somewhere similar. I’m currently
picking my a levels - Biology, chemistry and then I either need to choose English literature or psychology. I much prefer English as it is my favourite subject at GCSE however will psychology be required and give me a better chance at uni? Please let me know! (I’ve checked and maths is not required at A Level!)

Heyyy,
I’d say pick the subject that will get you the best grade.
A lot of universities are just interested in Chem and bio, so the third subject is completely up to you!!
Reply 2
Original post by Kkkkkk1111111

this is very true, they only need 2 science subjects, and both those options are good as they're essay based go for whichever ur more likely to get and A in as most just need 3 As with 2 being bio and chem and they dont care about the 3rd
It's completely up to you - It's always beneficial to take subjects you enjoy for A-level, and the analytical skills essay-baaed subjects such as English Literature give you look really good for a medicine applicant!

Quick Reply