The Student Room Group

QMUL or Uni of Manchester for Law??

Hi,
I have received an offer for LLB from both Queen Mary and University of Manchester but I’m yet not able to decide which one should be my firm choice. I want to choose one which has good reputation in all aspects e.g. employment(btw I’m aiming for top Law firms(magic circle ig), just a serious aim). Plus I want to pursue my master at oxbridge(that’s what I want rn. Idk whether I’ll apply or not, it depends because you never know what’s coming).
Which university do you think should be my firm choice?? Please, I need advice!
Either would be fine - the main point is how well you do there and how strong your CV is when you apply to law firms. Firms look at the quality of the candidate, not the university.

You don't need to have done a Masters in order to get into a top firm.

I think you should consider which university experience you would prefer (London vs Manchester) and pick accordingly. If you are neutral on location, I would go for QMUL simply because it will be easier to attend drinks receptions, internships, etc.
Reply 2
Come QMUL! I’m going there too for law
Original post by katana10000
Either would be fine - the main point is how well you do there and how strong your CV is when you apply to law firms. Firms look at the quality of the candidate, not the university.
You don't need to have done a Masters in order to get into a top firm.
I think you should consider which university experience you would prefer (London vs Manchester) and pick accordingly. If you are neutral on location, I would go for QMUL simply because it will be easier to attend drinks receptions, internships, etc.

I’m an international student and never have been to either city. Have no idea of university experience. Ig that’s the main reason why I haven’t decided anything yet
Original post by chaudhrychattha
I’m an international student and never have been to either city. Have no idea of university experience. Ig that’s the main reason why I haven’t decided anything yet

Go for QMUL then. London is one of the greatest cities in the world.
Go for QMUL then. London is one of the greatest cities in the world.

Bro, I was looking at QS rankings and got worried. Why is QMUL being demoted each year?? BTW is this smth to be worried about??
If you are worried about rankings then choose somewhere you are comfortable with. Firms hire candidates not rankings.
If you are worried about rankings then choose somewhere you are comfortable with. Firms hire candidates not rankings.

So you are saying if being hired by one of top firms is my main priority then I should go to QMUL??
No I’m not saying that; my point is some of the logistics are easier as a foreign student if you are based in London, particularly wrt to accommodation during internships, attending open days, etc. You also need to looks the universities and each courses. It’s 3 years of your life so go somewhere you will enjoy and do well plus allowing you to build your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending