The Student Room Group

Am I lying to myself about wanting to do an access course?

When I completed secondary school in 2020 i had no intentions of going on to do my A-Levels instead i went to college for two years and did a level 1 and 2 plumbing course. After realising i didnt want to do plumbing ive been working in random retail jobs for the past two years. After i passed my driving test i really felt like i had nothing to work towards anymore and ive suddenly started becoming much more interested in higher education and uni. Ive been looking at enrolling in an access to HE course in science (biology, chemistry and physics) but after being out of school for so long and with all my former classmates going into their second year at uni i feel pretty left behind and hopeless. Considering how intensive an access course can be I dont want to enrol, realise i hate the course and waste 3000 pounds. Im thinking about going into a healthcare degree if i complete the course but also arent sure about this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
I get what you mean about feeling left behind, my friend has finished uni like last week and I've only just started thinking about applying. I also wonder if I'm even going to be able to commit to it, and actually like it. It's a tough decision, especially when like you say, you could spend the money and not end up liking the course.

It's a really tough decision. I'm all for encouraging anyone and everyone to get into education if they think they want to. I believe it's never too late to learn something new. I think you should take time to think about this. I hope some people can give you better advice, more specific to your situation because I think all the advice one can get is really valuable.

I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone, and you seem to have an idea of the career you want so that's really good! Good luck! Oh also going to any open day and contacting the college/uni that the access course for as much information as you can get, it could be really helpful in making the decision.

Quick Reply