The Student Room Group

Wjec unit 2 biology A level

Can you guys give me any answers you remember from the paper . Thanks
Original post by Bsidbdid dudbrb

for the rate of uptake for water i got 49.1 i think. The 9 marker at the end was so good
Yh same
On the one about the villi being damaged/ shortened i said there is a reduced surface area for absorption of nutrients so more solutes remained in the ileum which decreased the water potential so water was in the ileum/ colon which caused diarrhoea. Somewhere along those lines lol
Reply 4
i think i had 80 bpm for the heart rate one but idk if its right
I got 75
I got 117☠️
Original post by noahxmorris
On the one about the villi being damaged/ shortened i said there is a reduced surface area for absorption of nutrients so more solutes remained in the ileum which decreased the water potential so water was in the ileum/ colon which caused diarrhoea. Somewhere along those lines lol

I said this aswell I also mentioned microcilli
Were you supposed to mention systole and diastole and stuff like that for the cardiac cycle question?
Reply 9
What was wrong with question 2 b ?
Original post by Jolly..
What was wrong with question 2 b ?

Wym
Original post by Jake flear
Were you supposed to mention systole and diastole and stuff like that for the cardiac cycle question?

I think so
Reply 12
Original post by Jake flear
Wym

I found it really difficult lol, along with the nine marker. Was just stuck on the question so long i remembered the question number
Reply 13
Original post by Bsidbdid dudbrb

I'm unsure as to whether you sat the same paper I did, though I will cover what I put for the 9 marker at the end of the paper that I sat.
The question:
Had a oxyhaemoglobin disassociation graph showing 3 curves, one to the left, one to the right, and the third being in the middle.
The left curve showed a mole-rat, giving a bit of information about its natural habitat, with the key-point being that it lives in an area with not so much oxygen.
The right curve showed a hummingbird, stating that 30% of its body mass is made up of wing muscles, and that hummingbirds flap their wings up to 200x per second.

Explain how curves in the graph allow for a suitable life within each habitat, using your knowledge and the graphs to justify your answer. (The wording here was obviously slightly different, though I'm just going off what I remember.)

The middle curve was said as belonging to a human. (I forgot this part of the question, so I'll leave it out.)

(Please do correct me on any of the details within the question that I missed.)
Answer:
I believe for the answer, you'd have to explain that the left curve shows a low dissociation of oxygen from the oxyhaemoglobin, as the mole-rat would have to hold on to oxygen for as long as they can, considering they live in a habitat with low presence of oxygen.
You would also have to explain that the curve to the far right is a high degree of dissociation, and link it to respiration.

If anybody wishes to add on, please feel free. I only vaguely remember the whole paper, so please do correct any of my mistakes, or add on where it is appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending