The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Paper 1 Question 5

Hello everyone!

So I left my English exam this morning and realised I may have made a big mistake. So I choose to do a description on the picture and unfortunately as my time keeping wasn't very good it was sort of rushed. I managed to get quite a bit down and was quite proud of it, but it wasn't until after that I realised my description turned into somewhat of a story.

Will I be marked down for doing this, or will my work still be marked normally with the technical accuracy and content taken into consideration?

Thanks!
Original post by PatM91
Hello everyone!
So I left my English exam this morning and realised I may have made a big mistake. So I choose to do a description on the picture and unfortunately as my time keeping wasn't very good it was sort of rushed. I managed to get quite a bit down and was quite proud of it, but it wasn't until after that I realised my description turned into somewhat of a story.
Will I be marked down for doing this, or will my work still be marked normally with the technical accuracy and content taken into consideration?
Thanks!

I don't think it will be marked down, depending on how much description you wrote and what your exam board is. How many paragraphs of description did you write?
Reply 2
Original post by Hannahblossom
I don't think it will be marked down, depending on how much description you wrote and what your exam board is. How many paragraphs of description did you write?

Exam board is AQA, I think I wrote about 2-3 paragraphs of description overall, then the story sort of took over.
Original post by PatM91
Exam board is AQA, I think I wrote about 2-3 paragraphs of description overall, then the story sort of took over.

How many paragraphs of the story? I just need to get a good idea
Original post by PatM91

And also what was the description and what happened in the story part? Did you continue to use descriptive writing (similes, metaphors etc) or was it dialogue?
Reply 5
And also what was the description and what happened in the story part? Did you continue to use descriptive writing (similes, metaphors etc) or was it dialogue?

So was around 3 paragraphs for the story with description all the way through. No dialogue, and yes I continued to use similes and metaphors.
Original post by PatM91
So was around 3 paragraphs for the story with description all the way through. No dialogue, and yes I continued to use similes and metaphors.

To be honest I think you will be ok. As long as the story related to the actual question, you're fine.
Original post by PatM91

If the story really did deviate a lot then you MIGHT have a couple of marks knocked off, but that's truly a worst case scenario. What matters more is that it read well as a piece of writing.
Reply 8

The description part was mainly on the hot weather and the dry environment and the with the story part was about a lizard looking for food whilst being hunted by an eagle, I sort of zoomed in on the lizard and zoomed out to the environment. With the description intertwined in the story, I also made it cyclical because I started with the lizard leaving it's burrow and ended it with it returned having survived an attack from the eagle.
what about my story where i didnt build much tension nor specifically reference a disagreement
Original post by northsouth_1
what about my story where i didnt build much tension nor specifically reference a disagreement

Was there any mention at all of a disagreement/fallout with somebody? There's a difference between taking a descriptive writing prompt but adding some story features into it, and simply not answering the question. What happened in your story?
Original post by PatM91
The description part was mainly on the hot weather and the dry environment and the with the story part was about a lizard looking for food whilst being hunted by an eagle, I sort of zoomed in on the lizard and zoomed out to the environment. With the description intertwined in the story, I also made it cyclical because I started with the lizard leaving it's burrow and ended it with it returned having survived an attack from the eagle.

I think that's ok tbh ๐Ÿ™‚
Was there any mention at all of a disagreement/fallout with somebody? There's a difference between taking a descriptive writing prompt but adding some story features into it, and simply not answering the question. What happened in your story?

Walking in the streets i enter a dodgy house and a person inside shouts 'get out', i think i was descriptive
Walking in the streets i enter a dodgy house and a person inside shouts 'get out', i think i was descriptive
Ok that's not that bad, it really will depend on the level of your writing. Obviously I'm not an examiner and I can't guarantee they won't knock a few marks off but I personally think you might get away with it.

It's still a disagreement though so... you should be ok. Hope so anyway ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Reply 15
Original post by PatM91
Hello everyone!
Thanks!

it should be completely fine - my friend did the same thing - both are marked in the same way and theres only a fine line between a short story and a description so dww
It's still a disagreement though so... you should be ok. Hope so anyway ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

yes hopefully, i didnt think my writing was horrible

Quick Reply