The Student Room Group

English GCSE

Hello, I am a year 10 GCSE student who has mocks coming up in 3 weeks!
I am feeling okay about all of my subjects but English is stressing me out!
We are only doing a poetry mock but we started the unit 2 weeks ago and will not finish it by the time the mocks come around.

Our assessment will be a comparison between one named poem and one poem of our choice from the anthology (Edexcel)
The named poem will be one of the following:
The Charge of the Light Brigade
The Man He Killed
Destruction of Sennacherib
Exposure
War Photographer
Poppies

Does anyone have any advise or resource websites they could recommend?
I have been trying to use Physics and Maths Tutor but there is so much information on there and I do not have time to go through it all!
Thanks!
Original post by Emmy1109
Hello, I am a year 10 GCSE student who has mocks coming up in 3 weeks!
I am feeling okay about all of my subjects but English is stressing me out!
We are only doing a poetry mock but we started the unit 2 weeks ago and will not finish it by the time the mocks come around.
Our assessment will be a comparison between one named poem and one poem of our choice from the anthology (Edexcel)
The named poem will be one of the following:
The Charge of the Light Brigade
The Man He Killed
Destruction of Sennacherib
Exposure
War Photographer
Poppies
Does anyone have any advise or resource websites they could recommend?
I have been trying to use Physics and Maths Tutor but there is so much information on there and I do not have time to go through it all!
Thanks!
Hi Emmy, I’d also recommend using seneca learning or my revision world for English revision. Seneca will allow you to understand the key quotes in depth and they are all you’ll need for your exam. My revision world is just great over all.
Hello!
Firstly good luck with your exams! I would recommend watching Youtube videos of 'Mr Everything English', 'First Rate Tutors' and 'Mr Bruff'. They are really nice and helped get my grades up. (Watching at 1.5x speed also helps). I would also recommend pairing poems up so you know exactly which poem to compare with. Having a poem pair up with multiple poems is much better.
Reply 3
That's great advice, thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by immortalskillz98
Hi Emmy, I’d also recommend using seneca learning or my revision world for English revision. Seneca will allow you to understand the key quotes in depth and they are all you’ll need for your exam. My revision world is just great over all.

That's great advice, thanks! I use Seneca for the sciences but had never thought about using it for English before, will definitely give it a try.
Reply 5
Id use Mr everything English and Mr salles.

Make mindmaps on the poems using the key quotes that they mention. Make sure to write down context, language devices, structural devices and links to other quotes.

I then would make flashcards on these key quotes.
Hi it's really important to structure these questions right so they can be short and efficient to pick up as many marks as possible.
remember to keep this structure:
named poem
plot
refer to question (about named poem)
comparison (choice of poem)
plot
refer to question (about poem of choice)

Remembering quotes
knowing the basic plot
and being able to compare are key
But don't stress you will be fine!
I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending