The Student Room Group

Need urgent help!!

Im restarting college at the age of 18 next year and will finish by 20, im doing A levels in biology, maths and psychology. I have no aspirations or plans for the future what should I do?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by wariya
Im restarting college at the age of 18 next year and will finish by 20, im doing A levels in biology, maths and psychology. I have no aspirations or plans for the future what should I do?

If this is what you want, go for it.

If not, have you thought of an apprenticeship? They are challenging to get on to but the combination of working and studying/training might suit you and motivate you.

Having an education and/or skills means you have choices and independence, which hopefully contributes to a higher quality of life for you and a valuable member of society.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Wariya

I would recommend anyone who intends to do A Levels to do it in college whilst they are young. It's usually a lot harder to do it after say 25 when you don't get funding and colleges don't allow you in unless you do it privately or through online colleges.

A Levels are NVQ Level 3 qualifications, so they alone would open doors to 600+ careers. This includes doors to specific professional qualifications (e.g. accounting, actuary) and apprenticeships.

The only thing I would be wary about is if you intend to go into STEM, you might be wary about the science subjects that you pick. Science practicals outside of college can costs £1000 for each subject, and you would have to fund this yourself. Whilst you are still in college, the practicals are included in your tuition (if free, so much the better).

This is similar for any subject that includes an NEA or speaking component e.g. English, languages, design and tech, art, music, geography, etc.

However, the thing that I would also point out is that science A Levels tend to be prerequisites for a number of jobs in STEM, whereas job roles related to arts and humanities tend not to require A Levels in their subjects unless it's in academia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending