The Student Room Group

Choosing Advanced Highers

Hey guys, I'm going into s6 and I'm currently very confused about choosing between Advanced Higher English and Advanced Higher Maths. I want to know which one is more difficult- can someone who has taken these courses guide me? Thank you
Original post by heyhosphegattio
Hey guys, I'm going into s6 and I'm currently very confused about choosing between Advanced Higher English and Advanced Higher Maths. I want to know which one is more difficult- can someone who has taken these courses guide me? Thank you
I don’t take english but i took maths. For maths i would say it is a lot more difficult than higher but if you understand higher quite easily it shouldn’t take long to adapt to the advanced course as a lot of it is building on stuff you learned during higher. There are some processes that take a bit to remember but after doing the same formulas again it is quite easy to grasp.
A friend of mine took english and from sitting in on her lessons it is very much a lot of essays and analysing, like higher. It seems most of the work comes with knowing what your doing for you dissertation and what to choose for your folio. If you are able to handle a lot of essays english would be good.

It really depends on how much you enjoy the subject, what you think you can achieve in each and what you may need if you are going to uni.
Original post by ourladyofbullets
I don’t take english but i took maths. For maths i would say it is a lot more difficult than higher but if you understand higher quite easily it shouldn’t take long to adapt to the advanced course as a lot of it is building on stuff you learned during higher. There are some processes that take a bit to remember but after doing the same formulas again it is quite easy to grasp.
A friend of mine took english and from sitting in on her lessons it is very much a lot of essays and analysing, like higher. It seems most of the work comes with knowing what your doing for you dissertation and what to choose for your folio. If you are able to handle a lot of essays english would be good.
It really depends on how much you enjoy the subject, what you think you can achieve in each and what you may need if you are going to uni.
Did you find that the type of questions you solve in class were largely the same in the exam or did it involve quite a lot of thinking and stuff?
Thats what happened with me in higher this year cause the questions were worded a bit weirdly and as soon as they were my mind went completely blank lol and thats why I think Im a bit hesitant about maths now
Original post by heyhosphegattio
Did you find that the type of questions you solve in class were largely the same in the exam or did it involve quite a lot of thinking and stuff?
Thats what happened with me in higher this year cause the questions were worded a bit weirdly and as soon as they were my mind went completely blank lol and thats why I think Im a bit hesitant about maths now

I had to do maths online so my experience is probably not the same as someone in person but the examples were mostly similar to what comes up in the exam, some stuff isn’t depending on what resources are used to teach each class. My teacher would go through a few examples then find past paper questions so we knew what the sqa was wanting from the time we were learning the concepts and not just later when studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending