The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering super curricular activities suggestions.

I am nearing the end of year 12 I do maths,Chemistry , physics and English literature (I will be dropping English literature at the end of year 12) and I have don’t a ton of extra curricular activities such as volunteering and maths tutoring.
I also will be doing a Mark Everson project with my friends soon too.

However I don’t really have anything for specifically what I want to do at university, chemical Engineering I have applied to Eton and Nuffield program but was unfortunately rejected.

I plan on attending astronomy club after the Half term and I also have a confirmed place for work experience at a local pharmacy. I also attended a maths competition at the start of the year

What else should I do over the summer in order to have a suitable and competitive personal statement for university?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by HELLLLOOOOOI333
I am nearing the end of year 12 and I have don’t a ton of extra curricular activities such as volunteering and maths tutoring.
I also will be doing a Mark Everson project with my friends soon too.

However I don’t really have anything for specifically what I want to do at university, chemical Engineering I have applied to Eton and Nuffield program but was unfortunately rejected.

I plan on attending astronomy club after the Half term and I also have a confirmed place for work experience at a local pharmacy. I also attended a maths competition at the start of the year

What else should I do over the summer in order to have a suitable and competitive personal statement for university?

Focus on your grades. Astronomy and pharmacy aren't relevant to chemical engineering (though astronomy certainly can be interesting in of itself). A maths competition is slightly more relevant as maths is a key subject for engineering, but what will be much more relevant is your actual grade in A-level or equivalent in maths. And chemistry. And physics if you do that.
Original post by Smack
Focus on your grades. Astronomy and pharmacy aren't relevant to chemical engineering (though astronomy certainly can be interesting in of itself). A maths competition is slightly more relevant as maths is a key subject for engineering, but what will be much more relevant is your actual grade in A-level or equivalent in maths. And chemistry. And physics if you do that.
Thank you very much for the advice I appreciate it a lot!!!

Quick Reply