The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences at Cambridge in correlation to GCSE grades

Good evening, I have always desired to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge, but I am feeling quite anxious. I am in Y11, currently doing my GCSE examinations, and so far I think I will emerge with 10 straight 9s, but I was wondering if getting 1 8 grade would be severely frowned upon since I understand the course is extremely competitive. Moreover, I am concerned by the fact that I am attending one of the most academically selective schools in the country and GCSEs are taken in context to the school’s results, so will I be greatly undermined by my competition if I were to receive one surprise 8 grade in English Literature, perhaps. Furthermore, I understand that A-levels are much more important, but since most applicants to Natural Sciences will have 3-4 A*s then GCSEs will act as a great divider. Thank you.
Reply 1
A grade 8 isn’t going to hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge. They care far more about your A Level Predicted grades, NSAA score and interviews to differentiate between candidates.
Reply 2
Original post by blanc123
A grade 8 isn’t going to hinder your chances of getting into Cambridge. They care far more about your A Level Predicted grades, NSAA score and interviews to differentiate between candidates.
I believe the NSAA is now called the ESAT now

Quick Reply