The Student Room Group

Is it necessary to learn how to drive?

I’m 20, will be graduating from uni next year. I’m planning to get a job as some sort of healthcare assistant to earn some experience before I go for my master in the related fields.

I have been thinking about learning how to drive in my final year but my sister says it’s not worth it if I’m not driving in the next few years as I will forget how to drive, besides if I’m only working for a couple of years and I’m returning to school for my masters, buying a car just for two years of working and then selling it (as I won’t be able to afford it without a full time job)seems like a waste of money.

On the other hand, I see some NHS assistant jobs require people have a driver license and access to a vehicle, which leads to my question, is it easier to get a job if I have a license and a car? I don’t know if this makes sense but feel free to ask me to clarify anything.
Original post by strugglingbarbie
I’m 20, will be graduating from uni next year. I’m planning to get a job as some sort of healthcare assistant to earn some experience before I go for my master in the related fields.
I have been thinking about learning how to drive in my final year but my sister says it’s not worth it if I’m not driving in the next few years as I will forget how to drive, besides if I’m only working for a couple of years and I’m returning to school for my masters, buying a car just for two years of working and then selling it (as I won’t be able to afford it without a full time job)seems like a waste of money.
On the other hand, I see some NHS assistant jobs require people have a driver license and access to a vehicle, which leads to my question, is it easier to get a job if I have a license and a car? I don’t know if this makes sense but feel free to ask me to clarify anything.

Hi there,

I would say that it is your choice if you want to learn to drive in your final year or not. I would say that it is probably easier to learn to drive whilst you are studying rather then whilst you are working a full time job as you will have more time and flexibility for driving lessons. Also if some of the jobs that you are looking at doing once you have finished your degree require a drivers license I would say now is probably the best time to learn to give you the options of applying for those jobs.

It might be worth mentioning that even if you learn to drive and get your drivers license you don't have to get a car straight away if you don't need one. You can always wait to get one until it is necessary for one. Also I would say that for me anyways once learning how to drive its like riding a bike. It is all muscle memory so you won't forget how to drive after you have passed if you don't drive for a while.

I hope this helps and good luck with your final year 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Original post by YSJstudents
Hi there,
I would say that it is your choice if you want to learn to drive in your final year or not. I would say that it is probably easier to learn to drive whilst you are studying rather then whilst you are working a full time job as you will have more time and flexibility for driving lessons. Also if some of the jobs that you are looking at doing once you have finished your degree require a drivers license I would say now is probably the best time to learn to give you the options of applying for those jobs.
It might be worth mentioning that even if you learn to drive and get your drivers license you don't have to get a car straight away if you don't need one. You can always wait to get one until it is necessary for one. Also I would say that for me anyways once learning how to drive its like riding a bike. It is all muscle memory so you won't forget how to drive after you have passed if you don't drive for a while.
I hope this helps and good luck with your final year 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Agree with most of this, but one of my dad's friends did this and actually forgot how to drive
Reply 3
I think it's good to get it out of the way whilst your young and don't have too much anxiety about it!

Quick Reply