The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

uni of newcastle or manchester uni ?! for psychology

I have until june to make up my mind. If i achieve 3 AAA i will be eligible for Newcastle first year. However I applied for Manchester Foundation year because It hadn't crossed my mind when i was choosing my 5 UCAS options and so my only option for manchester was foundation year which requires A-levels at BBC. Newcastle and manchester are both in the russel group. However, manchester is ranked quite a bit higher being 38th worldwide while Newcastle being 110th. They are both good rankings but i cant help but feel like manchester is better , especially that i feel like it may have more international recognition than Newcastle. Nevertheless, i find Newcastle to be a friendly city and a lovely campus and to add on, if i achieve the grades AAA i will be able to enter first year ( not a foundation yr like Manchester) and it is still a really good university. However on the other hand despite being ranked really high, i will still have to take the foundation year as i missed applying for first year before the deadline and i feel like it might be a waste of my time of doing foundation in things i already know. i don't know what to choose or pick. if anyone could say their input and tell me more about their own experiences at either universities please do!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have until june to make up my mind. If i achieve 3 AAA i will be eligible for Newcastle first year. However I applied for Manchester Foundation year because It hadn't crossed my mind when i was choosing my 5 UCAS options and so my only option for manchester was foundation year which requires A-levels at BBC. Newcastle and manchester are both in the russel group. However, manchester is ranked quite a bit higher being 38th worldwide while Newcastle being 110th. They are both good rankings but i cant help but feel like manchester is better , especially that i feel like it may have more international recognition than Newcastle. Nevertheless, i find Newcastle to be a friendly city and a lovely campus and to add on, if i achieve the grades AAA i will be able to enter first year ( not a foundation yr like Manchester) and it is still a really good university. However on the other hand despite being ranked really high, i will still have to take the foundation year as i missed applying for first year before the deadline and i feel like it might be a waste of my time of doing foundation in things i already know. i don't know what to choose or pick. if anyone could say their input and tell me more about their own experiences at either universities please do!!

Rankings aren’t everything, especially in psychology. These are both great Russell Group universities with good reputations for research quality, regardless of their global rankings. Manchester attracts for more international students, so it would make sense that globally they are ranked higher. In terms of UK rankings, the difference isn’t stark. Have you contacted Manchester to ask about your situation. If there are still spaces available for their BSc psychology course on results day and you have achieved the grades needed for the course, they may offer you a place on that course instead of your foundation course, but you’ll have to contact them to find out whether this is possible. I would look into that before making your decision, but it sounds like you don’t like the idea of a foundation year and you do enjoy Newcastle. The only thing that’s holding you back is rankings, but rankings won’t determine your career. I’ve seen a Cambridge graduate not secure an assistant psychologist position after graduating and some people with lots of experience get into a DClinPsy with a qualification from much lower ranked universities than Newcastle. If you’re looking into becoming a research psychologist, you’re undergraduate degree won’t matter too much in terms of name, so long as you secure a masters or PhD position at a good university. Newcastle is still very much a good university, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Even if you don’t want to go into any psychology field after graduating, attending a Russell Group university will help your graduate prospects either way.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
Rankings aren’t everything, especially in psychology. These are both great Russell Group universities with good reputations for research quality, regardless of their global rankings. Manchester attracts for more international students, so it would make sense that globally they are ranked higher. In terms of UK rankings, the difference isn’t stark. Have you contacted Manchester to ask about your situation. If there are still spaces available for their BSc psychology course on results day and you have achieved the grades needed for the course, they may offer you a place on that course instead of your foundation course, but you’ll have to contact them to find out whether this is possible. I would look into that before making your decision, but it sounds like you don’t like the idea of a foundation year and you do enjoy Newcastle. The only thing that’s holding you back is rankings, but rankings won’t determine your career. I’ve seen a Cambridge graduate not secure an assistant psychologist position after graduating and some people with lots of experience get into a DClinPsy with a qualification from much lower ranked universities than Newcastle. If you’re looking into becoming a research psychologist, you’re undergraduate degree won’t matter too much in terms of name, so long as you secure a masters or PhD position at a good university. Newcastle is still very much a good university, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Even if you don’t want to go into any psychology field after graduating, attending a Russell Group university will help your graduate prospects either way.

thank you so much , this cleared things up. I plan to pursue a career in psychology whether something clinical or psychotherapy, i am still deciding but ill definitely go into the psychology field as planned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending